[ngw] Converting incoming messages to plain text at the GWIA level

Kenneth Etter kle at msktd.com
Fri Dec 14 20:18:53 UTC 2012

Just a thought...if this mailbox only receives external email, you could create a custom application that uses the gwia\3rd folder like some virus/spam filters do.

Ken

>>> On 12/14/2012 at 2:29 PM, in message <50CB29A40200000B00009462 at GW00.genesco.local>, "Jim Gosney" <jgosney at genesco.com> wrote:

Correct James.  The client options only affects the reading of the message at the client.  But this app is actually pulling the message from the mailbox via a trusted app key so the client settings have no affect on the process.   We need a way to convert html-only messages to text PRIOR to them hitting the mailbox.  But I don't think it's possible.

>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 12/14/2012 12:30 PM >>>
You can set client options to display text-only for all messages.
This will display messages as text only, with exception of html-only messages, which you won't be able to to read at all.
I suspect that won't help your app, though, because I'm guessing it has the entire message content delivered to it, including the html.
It's worth a try, anyway. It's an easy test.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Jim Gosney" <jgosney at genesco.com> 12/14/2012   11:20 AM >>>

Hi all,

I have just received a strange request that I don't know is possible but figured I'd throw it out to the group for feedback.

We have an application that monitors specific Groupwise mailboxes via a trusted-app.  When it sees new messages, it copies the messages out of the mailbox to use within the application.  The application uses a "Groupwise connector" to monitor the mailbox.  For whatever reason, this connector is unable to handle html code -- it can only handle plain text.

Of course whether or not a message is sent html-only, plain-text-only, or both is controlled by the sender's email system so what is placed in the GW mailbox database is what is received from the sending client.

But is there any way that we can tell the system to convert all incoming messages for a specific user(s) to plain-text at the GWIA level.  I've looked through all the settings and have been unable to find anything.  I played around with class of service but couldn't find anything there either.

What we need is for all messages going into this specific mailbox to be plain-text-only regardless of how they were received so that when the connector picks them up, it can handle them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.

If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to report it: http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=19150&srvid=16vl15t