[ngw] GWIA trouble

Lilith Calbridge lilith at dcccd.edu
Mon Dec 17 17:56:26 UTC 2012

The main problem I run into that kills my SMTP is that some compromised machines attach to it, trying to send spam.  Either they hold onto the threads, consume all of them or the GWIA eventually doesn't close them down and all 16 threads are filled and unusable until I restart the GWIA.  Then it's good for a few more hours.  Fortunately our primary GWIA is fed by our hosted anti-spam/AV service and we can restrict the connections by way of firewall.

Lil

>>> David Gerisch <DGerisch at co.tulare.ca.us> 12/17/2012 10:29 AM >>>
Does the following symptom ring any bells for anyone?

My GWIAs are occasionally going non-responsive for SMTP.  GroupWise Monitor thinks they are running, but telnet to port 25 does not connect.  Every few minutes, the GWIA sends "The communications link to the GroupWise mail system is back up." to the postmaster.

A stop and start of the GWIA restores SMTP service.

GroupWise 2012 Support Pack 1.

David Gerisch