[ngw] Login Parameters / TCP/IP Address

Tom Miller tmiller at hnncsb.org
Sun Sep 9 14:52:24 UTC 2012

ngwnameserver and ngwnameserver2

http://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2012/gw2012_guide_admin/?page=/documentation/groupwise2012/gw2012_guide_admin/data/ak8h81j.html

>>> "Holly Newman" <Holly.Newman at KJMAIL.COM> 9/9/2012 10:42 AM >>>
Now that's an idea I hadn't thought of - thanks.

Can anybody confirm which it checks? I'm assuming ngwnameserver and ngwnameserver1, but does it also look for ngwnameserver2?

Thanks,

>>> "Tom Miller" <tmiller at hnncsb.org> 9/9/2012 6:44 AM >>>
Also you can have a backup to ngwnameserver, I think it's ngwnameserver1.  I use both so if one is down, the other can handle.

>>> Gert <gert at gwcheck.com> 9/8/2012 4:13 AM >>>
Do you have old IP addresses on the net, or in the registry of clients?
Remove them. It saves connection time.
Tried forcing the client with /@u-<user> or /ipa-<IP address> /ipp-<port>

Gert

GWCheck.com

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Holly Newman <Holly.Newman at kjmail.com>wrote:

> In my experience, the GW client has always displayed the "last used" DNS
> name in the Online Address field when it starts. AFAIK, this value is held
> in the registry under HKCU(and HKU)\Software\Novell\GroupWise\Login
> Parameters\ TCP/IP Address\(Default) and saved after each successful login.
> And only when the saved address fails does it march through the
> ngwnameserver and ngwnameserver1 DNS entries to find the user's GW server.
> But recently I have noticed that the Address and Port fields are blank.
>
> And today, I discovered something more insidious. The post office known as
> ngwnameserver.domain.com was unavailable for a while, and NONE of our
> users could connect to any other post offices. I'm not sure I understand
> why. Shouldn't they have used the last successful DNS connection? (which is
> our case is ngwnameserver-<siteid>.domain.com? And shouldn't the last
> successful server connection be displayed in the Address field?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Holly

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.