[ngw] Consulting needed - Migration from GroupWise

Tom Hafemann Thafemann at csd.k12.wi.us
Wed Sep 19 15:51:46 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I think the days of thinking email as just email are drawing to a close.  The concept of migration is not out of the realm of discussion, but migrating to what is definitely in play.

So what does Novell/TAG/etc have to offer?

I said this a few years ago, and will repeat it for everyone else to hear.  "GroupVibe"  GroupWise is great, but is pretty much what we think of traditional email systems.  Vibe is also Great, but email is kind of a bolt on attachment.  I see it as somehow, these two have got to be one.  Then we can start talking about GroupWise migrations/upgrade to GroupVibe instead of all completely away from the platform we have known and loved for so long.

Sincerely,

Tom

>>> "Ben Knorr" <bknorr at westminstercollege.edu> 9/19/2012 10:11 AM >>>
I would say it is much simpler than your assessment, Gert.

Since the OP was asking for consulting for a GroupWise to X (non GroupWise alternative), I would say that at least 50% of his task is GroupWise related.

The day for migrating away from GroupWise is drawing near for us as well, and while we don't have dates or platforms selected (or even local vs. cloud), it is coming. Rather than a technology user, I am a services provider. If another software/solution is better for our users/consumers of our services, then that's what we do. Even if a solution isn't better in my eyes, management can and does make the call for us from time to time.

Besides, the OP's subject seems a lot more on topic and pertinent than some of the discussions I've seen here over the years. Just saying...

-ben

>>> Gert <gert at gwcheck.com> 9/18/2012 12:50 PM >>>
Same here. No chance.

I even dont want to know Office365, Google apps perhaps, since I am a fan
of GMail, as the 1st cloud mail package years ago even. Not that I am being
asked or not, just that my groove stays with GroupWise and its community.
Hence the new website, presence at GWAVACon EMEA, new utils, and 10 years
of GWCheck.com, coming to an online event in november.

I find it tricky that you dare to ask for such a service in this NGW List,
cause it means you think more people are moving or being moved. The NGW
List is a pure and hundred percent or let's say GroupWIse365, even 366, or
in FTP terms: GroupWise777. I think anyone moving to Exchange is not going
to ask here how to do it.

I understand the need for this yet would appreciate if no more of this
requests would be posted in the NGW List. I am not sure if others feel the
same, yet let's keep the NGW a GW List. How to run GW, not break it down.
The fun of administrating a messaging product can go wider, yet I am
willing to start a list for that. Seperate from this one. CMC List, the
cross messaging and collaboration list. Independent of the system, hence
all products and all solutions.

Let me know if there is people herer that will become member of such a
list. CMC?

Gert

GWCheck.com