[ngw] A new record for us -- (no problem, just reporting something interesting)

Jim Gosney jgosney at genesco.com
Thu Sep 20 18:54:56 UTC 2012

Which program are you referring to, Lil?

~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^
Jim Gosney
* Linux System Engineer
* Groupwise System Engineer
* Blackberry Enterprise Server Admin
* Mobility Server Admin
* CA-Servicedesk Admin
Genesco, Inc.
Nashville, TN
615-367-7850

>>> "Lilith Calbridge" <lilith at dcccd.edu> 9/20/2012 11:57 AM >>>
Beats our record, which was over 800,000.  Every time a message went
out from our student system it was copied to this account for record
tracking.  Not very efficient.

I had no trouble logging into it but all operations took tremendous
amounts of time to complete.  I finally got permission to blow away the
account but didn't want that many purges killing our performance for
days on end or tying up my workstation while deleting them.  Fortunately
I have a program that will delete all messages in an account(s)
independently.  I still had to run it multiple times because it was
limited to 64K per run.  Still saved me a lot of grief.

Lil

>>> Jim Gosney <jgosney at genesco.com> 9/20/2012 11:44 AM >>>

We have a mailbox set up to receive messages sent from some of our
servers.  There was a process put in place on Monday on one of the
servers that started throwing errors every few seconds.  It wasn't
caught until today.  When I was told to "go dump all these error
messages from this mailbox", I logged into the mailbox and found
1,672,988 messages in a single folder!  That is a record.  Never seen
7
digits in the little blue brackets.

Problem is, when I tried to go into that folder, it would crash the
client every time.  So now I'm forced to use gwcheck and subjectpurge
get rid of the messages.

I don't know what the maximum number of messages in a folder is but it
will absolutely show more in the counter than it will display in the
message list.

~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^
Jim Gosney
* Linux System Engineer
* Groupwise System Engineer
* Blackberry Enterprise Server Admin
* Mobility Server Admin
* CA-Servicedesk Admin
Genesco, Inc.
Nashville, TN
615-367-7850

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are
confidential
and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or
proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by
the
transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any
person
other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an
intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or
the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete
it
and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.