[ngw] Changing external IP of mail

Adam Kuhn akuhn at niu.edu
Fri Sep 21 19:04:21 UTC 2012

Might also want to reduce the DNS TTL a few days before doing this to minimize the time the IP will be cached on other DNS servers.  Not that all servers will bother to respect the TTL...

>>> "Ryan Irish" <rirish at boonecountymo.org> 9/21/2012 2:00 PM >>>
Make sure that the new IP address or range of IP address is not already on a blacklist somewhere.  That happened to use when we move to a new ISP.  The class C IP range they gave us was all blacklisted.  Hence we requested a new range of IP addresses.

Other than that I have not had any problems with blacklisting when moving to a new public IP address.  DNS updates happen really really fast now a days.

>>> Richard Layton <richcsp at gmail.com> 9/21/2012 1:55 PM >>>
Hello All,

  We are going to be changing our external IP scheme and I am concerned
about getting blacklisted when this first happens.
My understanding is nothing can be done until the new IP replicates out
after we change our external DNS.  Is there another
way to do this so mail delivery is not interrupted?

Thanks!