[ngw] Changing external IP of mail

pcollins at duluthmn.gov pcollins at duluthmn.gov
Fri Sep 21 19:40:47 UTC 2012

You could also add a new secondary MX record pointing to the new address prior to changing.   Just give it time to replicate through DNS before switching.   Mail systems should fail to the secondary MX once the primary is unavailable.    Then update your MX records making the new server the primary.

Paul

>>> "Ryan Irish" <rirish at boonecountymo.org> 9/21/2012 2:00 PM >>>
Make sure that the new IP address or range of IP address is not already on a blacklist somewhere.  That happened to use when we move to a new ISP.  The class C IP range they gave us was all blacklisted.  Hence we requested a new range of IP addresses.

Other than that I have not had any problems with blacklisting when moving to a new public IP address.  DNS updates happen really really fast now a days.

>>> Richard Layton <richcsp at gmail.com> 9/21/2012 1:55 PM >>>
Hello All,

  We are going to be changing our external IP scheme and I am concerned
about getting blacklisted when this first happens.
My understanding is nothing can be done until the new IP replicates out
after we change our external DNS.  Is there another
way to do this so mail delivery is not interrupted?

Thanks!