[ngw] eDir for Windows

Graham Marsh gm at axiom.hk
Thu Aug 1 06:17:16 UTC 2013

SLP in Windows is provided by the OpenSLP service. If you want a Windows
server to act as a DA (via the OpenSLP service), do not install the Novell
Client on it; doing so interferes with the OpenSLP in strange ways (been
there). It was several years ago that I looked at this, but the effect as I
recall is that the OpenSLP service still runs but the results given out are
quite different (incorrect / invalid) when the Client is installed.

So if you need to run C1 to admin the GW then you do need the Client; but
these components would have to be on a machine other than the Windows
server if you also want the latter to be a DA.