[ngw] 'moving' from GW8/NetWare to GW12/Linux

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Feb 3 20:59:58 UTC 2014

Wrong about the Resources. First mistake ever...

I just moved 1400 users from 19 NetWare GW8 PO's to 6 SLES11 GW12 PO's
over the holidays using that method.
Nothing exciting.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Michael Statman" <Mike at EMESConsulting.Net> 2/3/2014 3:26 PM >>>

Thank you James, Todd, Danita.

I missed the pointer about nicknames, will do that.

And good to see that resources are indeed movable, that will save some
work.  And maintaining SIS is good news too.

I initially thought to update the new domain and post office to 2012
before moving the users, but it appeared to be a best-practice to move
users between post offices of the same version (and patch level).
e.g.,
http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/GroupWise_8_Moving_GroupWise_Users
says "Update to the same GroupWise 8 agents for the source and target
POA, source and target domain MTA, and primary domain MTA" --  Not
necessarily so, if the target is newer than the source?

-Mike

>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 2/3/2014 2:59 PM

Since you will be moving the users to a new mailbox on  a new domain,
then the FIDs will be preserved.
FIDs will only be changed during a move as a result of a collision
with
an existing FID on the target mailbox.
Since there will be no users on the new PO until you move them there,
all of the FIDs used by mailboxes on the source PO are available to
the
moved users.
The doc is correct about user associations being preserved, including
archives.
It is also right about the Resource issue. You can't move a resource,
so you will have to recreate any you need.
One other note....there is an option to create GW nicknames as an
option when you move the user. It will allow PAB entries to work prior
to nightly maintenance being run, which will update the PAB's. The
Nicknames will be removed after a set period of time (30 days as
default, in think), so you won't have to clean them up.
One thing I've run into since doing a similar move, however, is the
PAB
user addresses didn't seem to update for shared address books for the
users who had the PAB's shared with them. May have been just a fluke
on
this system, but I'd keep an eye on it.
Also, I'd update the new domain to the primary and upgrade it to 2012
before I moved the users.
Depending on when you do this, you may stage it to immediately update
to GW2014. Should be out soon.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Michael Statman" <Mike at EMESConsulting.Net> 2/3/2014 2:43 PM >>>

I have a customer who's been stuck on GW8/NetWare because of an NLM
fax
gateway  that is still in production.  We want to get moved to
GroupWise
12, but since we still need to use the gateway it precludes a standard
migration.  (There's a replacement in the pipeline, but requires some
hardware changes and telco updates and it's just not happening anytime
soon.)

The existing system has a primary domain with a single post office, as
well as the fax gateway in this domain, on the NetWare server.  (There
also exists a secondary domain on Linux with GWIA and WebAccess).

What if...  we create a new GW8 domain on Linux and a new post office,
move each mailbox to the new post office, then promote the new domain
be primary, then upgrade it to GW12?  About 120 users, mailboxes are
'relatively' small due to quotas and auto-archiving.  We know we'd
lose
single instance storage of attachments with this approach.

Documentation claims that "When you move a user’s account from one
GroupWise 6.x or later post office to another, all items are moved
correctly and all associations (proxy rights, shared folder access,
and
so forth) are resolved so that the move is transparent to the user."
That sounds encouraging.

But it further states:   "A user who owns a resource cannot be moved.
If the user owns a resource, reassign ownership of the resource to
another user who is on the same post office as the resource."  -- so
then presumably resources cannot be moved at all and will need to be
recreated in the new post office ?

What about FIDs and access to existing archives, is that preserved
with
a mailbox move to another post office?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions...

-Mike