[ngw] Best way to clean out empty post office

Daniel Hunt DCHUNT at dncinc.com
Wed Feb 5 00:38:32 UTC 2014

Ouch! <G>

>>> "Tommy Mikkelsen" <tm at orstrand.dk> 2/4/2014 5:13 PM >>>

There's only one proper way to clean out an empty PO, and that's FDISK
;-)

>>> On 2/4/2014 at 08:09 PM, in message
<48a87957-83cf-4590-bd7a-d810a25b17a7 at Ballingry.local>, Danita Zanre
<dzanre.ngwlist at gmail.com> wrote:

Well, manually deleting everything would probably cause the
ngwguard.db
to throw a hissy fit, but that doesn't mean it would be any "worse"
than
what you've got.  If it were me, I would take down the POA, "move" the
files - heehee - rename offiles to offiles.old, fire up the POA and
see
what files it complains about.  Make sure you and not someone else is
the domain admin, because you don't want to freak anyone out if the
POA
starts sending complains about not finding files.  But the user and
msg
dbs and offiles folders should not affect DMS at all in this respect.
If the result is more than you can bear, then put the files back.

Danita Zanrè
Become a GroupWise Power Admin!
http://www.caledonia.net/register

On Feb 4, 2014 11:44:07 AM, Daniel Hunt <DCHUNT at dncinc.com> wrote: So
what is it supposed to do? I assume it only works on mailboxes in
the PO and not on the library which is the one thing I care about. I
assume it couldn't reach out to another PO where the user is now and
somehow affect that userxxx.db, right?

What happens if I just manually delete all the PU files and the
userxxx.db files that are old, then run a Contents check? Would that
be
better or worse than 'forceclean' do you think?

Dan

>>> Danita Zanre <dzanre.ngwlist at gmail.com> 2/4/2014 12:18 PM >>>
Well, Novell "created" the switch, so "not supported" only means that
they don't publicly tell anyone about it - but if you were to open an
SR
with Novell and they thought you needed it, they'd tell you to run it
suspect. It's totally up to you though as to whether you want to risk
it.

Danita Zanrè
Become a GroupWise Power Admin!
http://www.caledonia.net/register

On Feb 4, 2014 9:53:05 AM, Daniel Hunt <DCHUNT at dncinc.com> wrote: See
this link Danita on the forceclean option:

http://www.groupwise.org/gwcheck-switches.htm

Specifically this info on FORCECLEAN:

FORCECLEAN Performs extensive cleanup of messages (and attachments)
that should not be there. Not supported by Novell. Available in
GWCHECK
from GW 5.5 EP SP4. TID 2960743 had more info, but is no longer
available. See this Novell Knowledgebase (
http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp ) query for "FORCECLEAN"
(
http://search.novell.com/NSearch/SearchServlet?template=%0AResultListTerseTemplate.html&numhits=20&theme=support&query=%0Aforceclean&collection=Support
)).

Also if you search for 'gwcheck forceclean' on Novell's support site,
you don't get any hits.

Is this incorrect?

Dan

>>> Danita Zanre <dzanre.ngwlist at gmail.com> 2/4/2014 10:22 AM >>>
forceclean not supported in what sense? They don't necessarily
advertise it, but it's been a functionality of GWCHECK since 6.5 SP
something.

attclip might work too, but since there are no users, it's an
interesting thought as to whether it can do anything at all.

Sent with Mail Pilot