[ngw] Adding contacts to iPhone that sync to GroupWise

Kenneth Etter kle at msktd.com
Thu Feb 13 16:51:29 UTC 2014

I wasn't too accurate.  I am at SP2 on the backend.  Only the clients are at SP1.  But what I ended up doing was to create an address book in GroupWise called "0tofile" and synced it to my device.  The zero at the beginning of the name caused it to be listed first.  Then as long as I have my GroupWise account listed as the default contact account, all contacts created on the iphone will go into the 0tofile address book.  I can always move them to the correct address book later from within GroupWise.  A workaround, but until Apple provides the ability to select the Group, it is acceptable to me.

After searching, I found a lot of people (Exchange users) running into the same problem.  Most recommended purchasing an app.  I tried one of them and found it a bit quirky...I like my workaround better.

Ken

>>> "Dean Niederkohr" <dean_niederkohr at owens.edu> 2/13/2014 11:30 AM >>>
Ken, I just checked the documentation and GMS 2.0 states that you should be on GroupWise 2012 SP2 minimum.  Not sure if this is part of your issue though.

Dean

>>> "Bill Neumann" <Bill.Neumann at willmarfab.com> 2/13/2014 9:48 AM >>>
>From my experience, what I have seen is when a contact is created on the iPhone, it syncs back to GW in a newly self created folder called synced.

>>> "Kenneth Etter" <kle at msktd.com> 2/13/2014 8:44 AM >>>
Looks like setting a default account for Contacts will at last get it into GroupWise, but there is no way to specify which group if you are syncing multiple GW address books.  On mine it appears to go to the first one alphabetically.  But there are apps out there that enable moving between groups.

>>> "Kenneth Etter" <kle at msktd.com> 2/13/2014 9:14 AM >>>
GroupWise 2012 SP1 and GMS 2.0.  I had a user ask about this.  The only method I have found is a bit cumbersome.  He added a contact to his iPhone and it doesn't sync to GroupWise.  I found if you turned off all groups except the one you want the contact to go to, then it will get created in the correct one and sync over to GroupWise.  I can't find any way in the contacts app to change the group afterwards.  So this really is more of an Apple/Activesync issue than a GroupWise issue, but thought maybe someone here had found a better solution.

Thanks,
Ken