[ngw] Any SPF record experts here?

Kenneth Etter kle at msktd.com
Thu Feb 13 22:06:13 UTC 2014

Thanks Matt.  I'll check into that.
Ken

>>> Matt Weisberg <matt at weisberg.net> 2/13/2014 4:45 PM >>>

That*s odd.  About the only suggestion I could think of would be to add
the CIDR notation to the end of the address.  Because you have a 255 in
the third octet of your host address, maybe Microsoft is not correctly
applying the mask (or lack thereof of a mask).

So try changing this:

v=spf1 ip4:107.0.255.114 -all

to this

v=spf1 ip4:107.0.255.114/32 -all

See if that makes a difference.  But to me, what you have is 100%
right.  But if Microsoft says it*s wrong, well.. lets not even go
there*.. argh...

Matt

--------
Matt Weisberg
Weisberg Consulting, Inc.
matt at weisberg.net
www.weisberg.net
ofc. 248.685.1970
cell 248.705.1950
fax 248.769.5963

On Feb 13, 2014, at 2:05 PM, Kenneth Etter <kle at msktd.com> wrote:

> One of the companies we are emailing is bouncing our mails back at
us.  When we informed that company, they contacted their IT consultant
and this is the reply that came back from the consultant which was
forwarded to us:

> I heard back from MXLogic.  Your client's SPF records are not
correct.

> According to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article relating to this
error: "This problem occurs because of a problem in the way that the
Exchange Sender ID engine applies subnet masks that are defined in the
SPF records. The problem may occur if one or more non-class full subnets
are defined in the SPF record of the sending domain."

> The "client" mentioned above is us.  As far as I can tell, there is
nothing wrong with my SPF records.  And the only thing I can find
related to that MS KB article is a bug fix that needs to be applied to
the recipients Exchange system.  If someone who knows SPF could take a
look at the record for mail.msktd.com and let me know if I messed
something up, I would appreciate it.