[ngw] OT: WildCard Certificates

Michael Mollard MollardM at mbc.qld.edu.au
Sat Feb 15 01:18:49 UTC 2014

FYI, we renewed one of our GoDaddy wildcard certs last month.  Here's
something I didn't know.
When you go to the GoDaddy Store, login, load up your 'cart' with the
renewal, exactly as you want it, then 'Next' your way to the purchase
screen.  Then close your browser and walk away.
2-3 days later I got an email offering me a 30% discount on my cart
contents to continue the purchase.  Saved me hundreds of $$

I discovered it accidentally, hope someone else can benefit.

Michael Mollard
Network Administrator

Ph: (Direct) 07 3907 5712 / (Mob) 0417 631 801 Fax: 07 3390 8919
mollardm at mbc.qld.edu.au
>>> Randy Grein <rgrein at q.com> 02/15/14 3:23 AM >>>
Good point. Godaddy just happens to allow wildcard certs; we used them
for several years.

Randy Grein
rgrein at q.com

''Death has a tendency to encourage a depressing view of war.''

—former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, 2003

On Feb 13, 2014, at 12:02 PM, Jeffrey Sessler <Jeff at ScrippsCollege.edu>
wrote:

> Some cert issuing companies don't "allow" you to use a wildcard across
servers i.e. you purchase the wildcard to support a number of sites on
the same host. DigiCert on the other hand allows unlimited servers, and
you can generate more than one wildcard. Generating more than one helps
- say in the case a host is compromised, you can invalidate just that
wildcard cert. If you use the same wildcard cert across everything, then
you have to replace them all should you need to invalidate it. Also,
it's nice if you need subject alternative names, you generate another
wildcard with them, and just for the host that needs it.

<52FCD2ED020000AB0002E946 at charlieb.queencitymetro.com>, "Alan Bens"
<ABENS at go-metro.com> wrote:

> I just got off the phone with Go-Daddy where we purchased a wild card
> certificate.  At first their support people told me you can not use a
> wild card certificate across multiple servers and OS's.  Then they
said
> it could be done but it's difficult because you have to generate the
CSR
> from the domain server, then get a PKI.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find some documents on this so I can get
> my head wrapped around what their talking about?
>

> Thanks in Advance
>
> Al B

Moreton Bay College
http://www.mbc.qld.edu.au
450 Wondall Rd, Manly West.  QLD.  4179
PO BOX 84, Wynnum. 4178
Ph 07 33908555 Fax 07 33908919

Disclaimer: Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material
contained in this email is free from computer viruses or other defects,
the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that
the user assumes all responsibility for use of the material transmitted.
This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
names above and may contain information that is confidential and
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us
immediately by return email or telephone 07 3390 8555 and destroy the
original message. The contents of this message are provided without
responsibility in law for their accuracy or otherwise, and without
assumption of a duty of care by the School.