[ngw] email with no from field displayed

Ryan Irish rirish at boonecountymo.org
Fri Feb 21 17:18:58 UTC 2014

i was thinking (my first problem) was that in the headers there was not a "from" filed filled out and that would explain why the from field is not being displayed but in the message source in the from field it has "Your Life Policy {_FROM_FIRST_NAME_}}@streetreadyyoung.com" in the from field.  why is the GW client not at least displaying that?

i understand the spam stuff but some end users are asking why these emails do not have a from field filled in so they can "block" them at the client side (i know that opens up a whole nother conversation).  a lot of time it is just the perception to the end user that they are doing something that matters, even though they will most likely never get another email from this same email address.

>>> "Elbert LaGrew" <Elbert.LaGrew at katun.com> 2/21/2014 11:10 AM >>>
It is working as designed by the spammers. :-)

If the field does not come from the spammers, it is not arbitrarily filled in by the client.

So...what's your question beyond that?

--El

>>> On 2/21/2014 at 11:08 AM, in message <5307339A.1763.0096.0 at boonecountymo.org>, "Ryan Irish" <rirish at boonecountymo.org> wrote:

we have been getting some spam email that when it is viewed in the gw client there is no "from" filed.  there is a reply to filed.  in the message source it shows this ... From: Your Life Policy  <{_FROM_FIRST_NAME_}}@streetreadyyoung.com>

this is what the client sees ...

is this working as designed?