[ngw] GW undeliverable notification format

Jim Gosney jgosney at genesco.com
Tue Jul 8 17:36:19 UTC 2014

At first, I thought it was the DLP but we even tried bypassing the DLP so the flow went like this:

Primary Domain --> GWIA --> Secondary GWIA --> External recipient

...and we got the same results.  So it looks like when the first GWIA hands it off, the non-GW, regular SMTP format doesn't have the tracking abilities for DSN.

>>> "Jeffrey Sessler" <jeff at ScrippsCollege.edu> 7/8/2014 12:22 PM >>>
It's WAD. At the point it passes from the 1st GWIA, everything else is just a relay, and you may no longer get the detail - especially if the DLP is altering the message headers in any way.

I know on our Ironport, once the message is sent from the GWIA to the Ironport, GWIA and the sent item consider the message complete. The Ironport then uses it's own tracking for DSN, and should a message bounce/fail/delay, it generates it's own DSN.

Are you sure it's the GWIA generating the DSN, or is it the DLP?

Jeff

>>> "Jim Gosney" 07/08/14 5:57 AM >>>
I've got a quick question for everyone.

On our GW2012sp2 system, we have added a DLP system to filter outgoing mail.

In the past, our mail flow went like this:

Primary Domain --> GWIA --> external recipient

And if a message was undeliverable, the sender would receive back the typical message stating the problem and who the recipient was -- BOTH USERNAME AND DOMAIN

But since we've added the DLP system into the mix, we had to add a secondary GWIA on the other side (don't ask) so the flow now looks like this:

Primary Domain --> GWIA --> DLP box --> GWIA (on a secondary domain) -- external recipient

Now if a message is undeliverable, the sender receives back much less information. Instead of stating who the message was to, it simply tells the users that the message sent at X time to X domain returned X error. If the original message was sent to a single user, it is easy to correlate from the sent items which message is the problem (although some people even struggle with that concept) but if the message was sent to multiple people, then the sent item is useless and I have to go digging through the GWIA logs to determine the faulty recipient.

So question 1: Why is the second GWIA responding this way? It's a Groupwise agent so shouldn't it respond like the primary?
And question 2: Is there a setting somewhere to change this behavior? I can't find one but perhaps I'm overlooking it.

thx

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person other than the originally intended recipient. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.