[ngw] GW 2014 to MIME or not to MIME

David Gerisch DGerisch at co.tulare.ca.us
Thu Jul 17 23:10:19 UTC 2014

I don't know why adding the signature makes the file type of Mime.822 appear.

I do know that when you go from plain text to HTML mail, you almost double the size of the message.  Since the receiving end cannot be guaranteed to understand HTML mail, the message is duplicated: one is with the HTML stripped out, the other with it left in.

David Gerisch

>>> "Daniel Wells" <Daniel.Wells at mhtn.com> 2014-07-17 09:30 >>>
I had a user approach me and ask why when they added a signature to an email with attachments, the size listed in the sent items is almost doubled.

I started looking and testing.  I sent two emails with a 5.01 MB PDF attachment, one with our standard signature one without.  The receiving client listed both as 7 MB (the attachment listed as 6.9 MB).

Within the GroupWise client the sent items were listed differently, without the signature it is shown as 5.02 MB with the signature it is 11.9 MB.

The item sent without the signature has the message, text.htm and the attached file listed.  The message with the signature has the message, text.htm, Mime.822, Image.gif and the attachment.

I understand the Image.gif is part of the signature.  What is it about the signature that adds the Mime.822 file, but it is not there on the email without the signature?

Thanks in advance?

Daniel Wells AIA, VCP
Senior Associate | IT Coordinator
 MHTN Architects, Inc.
Direct: 801.326.3215 | www.mhtn.com
 vision made real

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including attachments, are privileged and confidential and/or proprietary information intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please immediately notify sender by telephone or reply email, do not use or disclose the contents to others, and delete the message and all attachments from your computer, system and/or network. Further, e-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.