[ngw] GW 2014 to MIME or not to MIME

Ian Young IYoung at graphic.plc.uk
Fri Jul 18 12:55:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

I believe the mime.822 contains all the information received by the
SMTP server, between the DATA command and the closing period. Having it
enables you to look at the headers of an email but it does have the
disadvantage of making all incoming emails twice as big. This can be a
problem if you regularly receive large emails, as we do. It would be
nice if GW just saved the headers of the email, not the whole thing.

Cheers

Ian

Ian Young
IT Manager
Extension 364
DDI - 01363 778764

>>> gf at fcp.at 18/07/2014 08:22 >>>
Hi!

My understanding is that the mime.822 attachment is the mime
representation of the complete mail used in smtp transfers. This part is
basically base64 coded adding approx. 35% to the size. A 5MB mail
including the 7MB mime representation will be approx. 12MB.

If you send an internal 1MB attachment, the sent item is aprrox. 1MB.
Just the binary file.
If you receive from an external address an 1MB attachment, the mail is
approx. 2,4MB with
a 1MB binary attachment
and
a 1,4MB mime.822 representation of the whole mail. (Can be viewed in
the message source tab)

However, this mime.822 part is missing on my original sent items. I
only see it for incoming stuff or anything which went through smtp.
Nothing to do with adding a signature. But i only us a simple personal
signature without images and no global signature.

Georg

Wells" < Daniel.Wells at mhtn.com > wrote:
> I had a user approach me and ask why when they added a signature to
an email
> with attachments, the size listed in the sent items is almost
doubled.

> I started looking and testing. I sent two emails with a 5.01 MB PDF
> attachment, one with our standard signature one without. The
receiving
> client listed both as 7 MB (the attachment listed as 6.9 MB).
>
> Within the GroupWise client the sent items were listed differently,
without
> the signature it is shown as 5.02 MB with the signature it is 11.9
MB.

> The item sent without the signature has the message, text.htm and the

> attached file listed. The message with the signature has the message,

> text.htm, Mime.822, Image.gif and the attachment.
>
> I understand the Image.gif is part of the signature. What is it about
the
> signature that adds the Mime.822 file, but it is not there on the
email
> without the signature?
>
> Thanks in advance?
>

> Daniel Wells AIA, VCP
> Senior Associate | IT Coordinator
> MHTN Architects, Inc.
> Direct: 801.326.3215 | www.mhtn.com
> vision made real
>

> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including attachments, are
privileged
> and confidential and/or proprietary information intended solely for
the use
> of the individual or entity to whom this is addressed. If the reader
of this
> message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible
> to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any
strictly
> prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please
immediately
> notify sender by telephone or reply email, do not use or disclose the

> contents to others, and delete the message and all attachments from
your
> computer, system and/or network. Further, e-mail transmission cannot
be
> guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
intercepted,
> corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain
viruses.
> The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in
> the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission.
> If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.

Graphic PLC
Tel. +44 (0) 1363 774874
Fax. +44 (0) 1363 775753
Website: www.graphic.plc.uk

Before printing this email, please consider the environment.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee only and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use the contents nor disclose them to any other person, and you are requested to notify the sender and delete the email.

Please note that design advice is given in good faith and without prejudice. Graphic cannot be held responsible for any product failure, or if systems do not perform as expected. Information given is for the use of the recipient only and others within their organisation; it should not be given to a third party without express authorisation from Graphic plc.

ITAR regulations stipulate that customers must inform their suppliers if their products are subject to ITAR regulations. If no mention of the ITAR regulations is made on the quote request or the order then Graphic PLC will assume that the ITAR regulations do not apply.

Internet communications are not secure, and Graphic PLC is not responsible for any changes made to the message after it was sent. Although steps have been taken to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, Graphic plc cannot guarantee this, or accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of a virus. Recipients are advised to carry out their own virus checking, especially before opening an attachment.

Graphic PLC, registered in England no. 1036230.
Registered office: Graphic PLC, Down End, Lords Meadow Industrial Estate, Crediton, Devon, EX17 1HN, England.