[ngw] GW 2014 to MIME or not to MIME

Georg Fritsch FCP gf at fcp.at
Mon Jul 21 15:48:09 UTC 2014

Hi Daniel,

Compatibility? ROTFL

So, if a signature has no graphic or there is no signature, NO mime.822 is created - which is correct, because there is no need to have one.
But for compatibility reasons a mime.822 is created if a signature has a graphic - making it totally incompatible to all other use cases.

Wow, a really cool feature. :-(

... Maybe it is to compensate for a LACK of compatibility. The gwia might be to 'stupid' to create a meaningful mime representation for more complex signatures or html stuff (including a picture) on the fly and relies on the client/server to do the 'hard' work ... or there is no code/data path from the client to the gwia to transport the html graphic data besides passing a full mime.822 representation - essentially more than doubling the amount of data ...

As it turns out - i just checked while is was writing this - a mime.822 part is generated if an outgoing mail has a html part which includes a picture. Nothing to do with signatures, it is a general problem --- sorry --- feature :-)

Write a html mail, just text no graphics - no mime.822
Write a html mail and include a picture, you get the image PLUS a mime.822 encoded version in your sent item - just a total waste of space.

I would prefer to have a mime.822 either in both cases or none at all.

Georg