[ngw] Managing GroupWise questions

Jeffrey Sessler Jeff at ScrippsCollege.edu
Tue Jul 22 17:53:37 UTC 2014

I say it was a good change from the standpoint of moving the product forward, but when your customer base is diminishing, and there aren't very many loyal GroupWise partners/developers left out there, you don't kick those people in the face.

Supporting the AdminAPI for 2014 and the next version would have been wise. It would have demonstrated that Novell was committed to preserving a customer's investment in GroupWise and supporting partner tools during the transition. Instead, it's just presents another barrier to keeping the product.

Making these sort of changes when you're a market leader is one thing, but when you're struggling to keep your product relevant, you should be doing everything possible to keep those loyal customers (and partners) happy.

Jeff

>>> On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 8:23 AM, in message <53CE9E280200009E0016F21D at gwia.fcp.at>, "Georg Fritsch FCP" <gf at fcp.at> wrote:

Hi Ken,

Your post made me smile.

As you are looking at things now from the partner side, i fully understand that partners are impacted by this change. But it is a good change, it should have happened years ago and it didn't come totally unexpected.

But you have good arguments, so Novell should at least support the legacy object api for at least one version (GW2014) after the release of the new REST api to give everyone enough time to adopt without blocking customers to upgrade or sticking with a mixed environment.

Unfortunately, Novell doesn't make a really good job at pushing the new api.
e.g.
The page GroupWise for Developers
https://www.novell.com/developer/ndk/groupwise/develop_to_groupwise.html
has a broken link to the GroupWise Administrative Service for GroupWise 2014
http://gwbuild.provo.novell.com/GWPublish/search.htm?version=14.0.0&buildName=14.0.0-115243&fileName=AdminSDK-SampleCode.zip
just points nowhere.

Georg

PS:  Yes, the api docs can be found in the GW2014 documentation: https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise2014/gwsdk_gwadminweb/data/bookinfo.html