[ngw] Mobility + iOS + PDF = rendering problem

David Gerisch DGerisch at co.tulare.ca.us
Mon Jul 28 22:17:45 UTC 2014

Thank you Gentlemen, for the reply.  I wanted to make sure it wasn't just one mailbox in a weird state.

David Gerisch

>>> "Kenneth Etter" <kle at msktd.com> 2014-07-28 06:16 >>>
I ran into this a couple of times and also noticed that "Download full message" fixed the problem.  I wonder if this is related to the problem you mentioned in your "corrupted attachments" email.  Maybe people are forwarding messages from iOS devices and that is causing the corruption?

Ken
 >>> "Daniel Wells" <Daniel.Wells at mhtn.com> 7/25/2014 3:10 PM >>>
I have a workmate who has been tracking this.  There appears to be a problem with iOS 7 and email attachments, especially PDFs.  I don't have chapter and verse, but it is appearing in forums and associated with how iOS 7 and Exchange/Active-sync interact.

The only workaround I know of is to make sure and "Download full message" before opening the attachment.  This also seems to help with forwarding email with attachments.

Daniel Wells AIA, VCP
Senior Associate | IT Coordinator
MHTN Architects, Inc.
Direct: 801.326.3215 | www.mhtn.com
vision made real
>>> "David Gerisch" <DGerisch at co.tulare.ca.us> 7/23/2014 5:50 PM >>>
I will ask the user to install a third party reader.  I'm pretty sure the user is only opening them via mail.

David Gerisch

>>> "Jeffrey Sessler" <Jeff at ScrippsCollege.edu> 2014-07-23 14:59 >>>
If the user opens them in another PDF reader on iOS e.g. goodreader, ibooks, etc. is there a render issue, or is it only when viewed in mail.

Jeff

>>> On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 2:10 PM, in message <53CFC25F020000590006E1AC at tcl77.tcweb>, "David Gerisch" <DGerisch at co.tulare.ca.us> wrote:

Is anyone else having a problem with their Mobility users on iOS 7.0.4 trying to view PDF files, but the files don't render properly?  The user can send me the file attachment, and on Android or the Win32 client, the PDF renders fine.  Is it a correct assumption that because I downloaded it over 4G LTE (and it was fine), then the copy of the file on the Mobility server is intact?  Or does each user get their own copy of each file attachment?

What is making it weird is that the problem first showed up on the user's iPhone; but the user just reported that the problem has spread to their iPad.

The symptom is that blocks of rectangular space just appear as black or white lines of varying width, obliterating what the scanned image would normally show there.

Thanks!

David Gerisch