[ngw] Help With Rsync Reconciling DBCopy OFFILES

Tommy Mikkelsen tm at orstrand.dk
Wed Nov 19 23:12:02 UTC 2014

Also take a peak @ this:

http://how-to.linuxcareer.com/guide-to-rsnapshot-and-incremental-backups-on-linux

So cool, and adds about 1000000% to rsync, since it allows you to go back in times, but without adding the huge need of storage

/T

>>> On 11/19/2014 at 11:48 PM, in message <546CADD9020000C00014E3B9 at SCRNCS1.scrippscollege.edu>, "Jeffrey Sessler" <Jeff at ScrippsCollege.edu> wrote:

I'd also do the same cleanup for the /index folder in ofusers. It too can grow over time - first time I did the rsync clean up, there was some 30 GB of old indexes in there.

jeff

>>> On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM, in message <546C9CD5020000570003D578 at netmail04.eeoc.gov>, "JOSHUA PITLICK" <JOSHUA.PITLICK at EEOC.GOV> wrote:

Elbert,

Thanks for confirming.  I just found my issue.  I was missing a trailing "/" on the source and target that was causing a new OFFILES directory to be created inside the DBCopy OFFILES directory when I ran rsync.

Joshua Pitlick
Senior Network Engineer
Office of Information Technology
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

>>> "Elbert LaGrew" <Elbert.LaGrew at katun.com> 11/19/2014 1:31 PM >>>
Hi Joshua,

I am rsyncing my live PO to another disk...the delete happens on the copy, the live PO is the Source.

No issues so far....

--El

>>> On 11/19/2014 at 12:23 PM, in message <546C99D4020000570003D573 at netmail04.eeoc.gov>, "JOSHUA PITLICK" <JOSHUA.PITLICK at EEOC.GOV> wrote:

Elbert,

Thank you for your response.  So, you don't have any problems running that command with your post office running?

Joshua Pitlick
Senior Network Engineer
Office of Information Technology
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

>>> "Elbert LaGrew" <Elbert.LaGrew at katun.com> 11/19/2014 1:15 PM >>>
I use similar, but a little different...

/usr/bin/rsync -avt --delete [/media/nss/EMAIL/po/offiles /media/nss/EMAIL/GWBKUP/po/offiles]
--El

>>> On 11/19/2014 at 12:02 PM, in message <546C9501020000570003D56E at netmail04.eeoc.gov>, "JOSHUA PITLICK" <JOSHUA.PITLICK at EEOC.GOV> wrote:

I use DBCopy to backup my GroupWise system.  I am trying to work in a monthly process to reconcile the OFFILES in the backup location with the live OFFILES to avoid dumping the DBCopy instead.  I am trying to use this script:
/usr/bin/rsync -a --delete --ignore-existing /media/nss/EMAIL/po/offiles /media/nss/EMAIL/GWBKUP/po/offiles

On my test server, the live OFFILES is 16.1 GB and the DBCopy OFFILES is 56.4 GB.  Does anyone know what I am missing?  Is this script not working because the source is a live post office directory?  All of the forum postings on this subject don't mention anything about bringing down the post office during this process.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.