[ngw] OT: SLES Apache management advice

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Aug 12 12:47:31 UTC 2015

Sudo is probably your best option short of using a product like NetIQ Privileged User Manager.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Jim Gosney" <jgosney at genesco.com> 8/12/2015 8:27 AM >>>
We've got a SLES server running Apache and we want to give certain
individuals the rights to fully manage the apache part of the server.
Problem is that the ownership of apache seems to be ROOT/ROOT for
EVERYTHING,

I've set up SUDO so the user can start and stop the apache server using
/etc/init.d/apache2 script.  And I've given full rights (recursively) to
/etc/apache2 to the user using an ACL.  But I'm wondering if there is an
easier/better way to do this.  I'm hesitant to make the user a member of
the ROOT group as I don't want to give them too many rights but I also
don't want to be nickel and dimeing it where I have to keep giving the
explicit rights to other files as they come across the need.

Any advice would be appreciated.

~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^
Jim Gosney
* Linux System Engineer
* Groupwise System Engineer
* Mobility Server Admin
Genesco, Inc.
Nashville, TN
615-367-7850

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or
proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the
transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person
other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an
intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or
the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it
and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.