[ngw] Auto Archiving

Paul Lamontagne Paul.Lamontagne at lamtechconsulting.com
Fri Aug 14 13:01:05 UTC 2015

Why would you be using local archiving if you are using retain???

doing the same job twice....

Paul
>>> "Thys de Beer" <Thys at nwpg.gov.za> 2015-08-14 5:48 AM >>>
HI David,

We do run Retain .. the problem sits with the local archive of the
users ......... this not being done, the mailbox size keep on growing
,,, yes we can run gwcheck and delete "old mail", but our policy
currently is that users to have local archive, to there laptops/pc as
well...

Kind Regards,

Thys de Beer
NWPG Office of the Premier
GITO: Infrastructure
Deputy Dir: Server Administration
http://www.waytag.com/!ThysdeBeer.tag
018 388 3828
------------------
Novell -- CNE
Microsoft -- MCITP- Enterprise Administrator
Microsoft -- MCSE- Private Cloud
Vmware -- VCP5
Cobit5

>>> "David Krotil" <David.Krotil at hilo.cz> 2015-08-14 10:58 AM >>>
Go for GWAVA Retain, no pain with auto archiving, you can import all
archives into it. Single instance storage and much more.

David
>>> "Thys de Beer" <thys at nwpg.gov.za> 14.8.2015 9:47 >>>
HI All,

Yes i know that if the client does not start / login it will no
archive, BUT that is the thing, some of these users do login it seems,
but auto archiving does not happen, now we are talking hundreds of
random users/po's etc this is happing on?.. what to make of it, is it
acceptable that some mailboxes just wont "auto archive" and we just
need
to live with it. or do i need to check every single mailbox (16k
users)
.. is that the norm.
Getting last login/activity details from gw, is just to "unreliable"
as
well, thought i would go this root to look at the  oversizes
mailboxes,
reckoning that if a mail box is over-sized the users does not login,
because it would then archive and it, and will not grow to oversize
was
my logic , or am i wrong?, only to fine out that many of the accounts
locked users complaining in to say they are using it (yes they cant
send
email, which of course is above my pay grade knowledge of using email
(only read no send), but we are in South Africa so i stopped
questioning
weird and wonderful stuff..

Then also nobody replied on the "reliability" of the mailbox sizes
shown in C1, is that a true reflection of the users mailbox size or is
this that there to fill some space, i must say i get the feeling that
it
is "fill some space" ...

Kind Regards,

Thys de Beer
NWPG Office of the Premier
GITO: Infrastructure
Deputy Dir: Server Administration
http://www.waytag.com/!ThysdeBeer.tag
018 388 3828
------------------
Novell -- CNE
Microsoft -- MCITP- Enterprise Administrator
Microsoft -- MCSE- Private Cloud
Vmware -- VCP5
Cobit5

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 2015-08-11 06:36 PM

Archiving only happens when the client is launched, so if a user never
logs in, they'll never get archived. Also, unread emails will never
archive automatically.

If its an active user, check to see if the archive directory has
gotten
created.. if not, sometimes it takes a little push.. just right click
on
an email, force it to archive, which will create the folder, etc..
then
the next time you launch client, it should start automatically
>>> "Thys de Beer" <thys at nwpg.gov.za> 8/11/2015 1:13 AM >>>
Morning All,

GW2012 SP4 (although this has been coming from way way back...).. 16k
users 9 PO's

What could the reasons be why clients will no adhere to the cleanup
settings to auto archive lets say 30 days? .. we have mailboxes
growing

(limit is 750mb) to 10gb for instance (ok yes if they do not login
(not
active) i understand).. but we have other users growing to 100%
120-200%, which still login (because if we lock the accounts we hear
about very quickly...)..... now these totals i get from ConsoleOne,
how
correct they are, is yet another story! are these totals reliable? i
mean why would anybody "use" email and not be able to send email is
beyond me.. but this seems to be my users way of using email... well
at
least a lot of them anyway...

So checking the client settings in C1, when i set at DO/PO level it
filters through fine... or well that is what C1 says .. BUT auto
archiving is simply not happening on a lot of users? ... others seems
fine?..

any ideas please?

Kind Regards,

Thys de Beer
NWPG Office of the Premier
GITO: Infrastructure
Deputy Dir: Server Administration
http://www.waytag.com/!ThysdeBeer.tag
018 388 3828
------------------
Novell -- CNE
Microsoft -- MCITP- Enterprise Administrator
Microsoft -- MCSE- Private Cloud
Vmware -- VCP5
Cobit5

Disclaimer
"This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information
which is confidential, private or privilege in nature and it is for
the
sole use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must immediately notify the sender via
electronic mail and further refrain fr
om reading, disseminating,
distributing, copying or using this message or any of its transmitted
files. Any views of this message and its transmitted files are those
of
the sender unless the sender specifically states such views to be
those
of the North-West Provincial Government. Though this message and its
transmitted files have been swept for the presence of computer
viruses,
the North-West Provincial Government accepts no liability whatsoever
for
any loss, damage or expenses resulting directly or indirectly from the
use or access of this message or any of its transmitted files."

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and
may contain confidential and privileged information. If you have
received this e-mail in error, any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or
use of this communication is prohibited and we request that you
contact
us by reply email or call us at 415-898-1555, and then destroy all
copies of our original message and any attachments.

[...]

e-mailové zprávy.

Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not
the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may
be
about it.