[ngw] Auto Archiving

Leandra Streicher lstreicher at novell.com
Mon Aug 17 16:08:10 UTC 2015

Apologies - I wanted to respond to Thys directly ...

I was asking - what version the desktop client software is.

This is very important - if they are not on at minimum GW 2012 SP3 they will have a problem as there was a fix for the problem that Thys is experiencing in that support pack.

Regards
Leandra
>>> Leandra Streicher 17 August 2015 06:06 PM >>>
Thys

Op watse version is die desktop clients?

Groete
Leandra
>>> "Thys de Beer" <thys at nwpg.gov.za> 14 August 2015 09:47 AM >>>
HI All,

Yes i know that if the client does not start / login it will no archive, BUT that is the thing, some of these users do login it seems, but auto archiving does not happen, now we are talking hundreds of random users/po's etc this is happing on?.. what to make of it, is it acceptable that some mailboxes just wont "auto archive" and we just need to live with it. or do i need to check every single mailbox (16k users) .... is that the norm.
Getting last login/activity details from gw, is just to "unreliable" as well, thought i would go this root to look at the  oversizes mailboxes, reckoning that if a mail box is over-sized the users does not login, because it would then archive and it, and will not grow to oversize was my logic , or am i wrong?, only to fine out that many of the accounts i locked users complaining in to say they are using it (yes they cant send email, which of course is above my pay grade knowledge of using email (only read no send), but we are in South Africa so i stopped questioning weird and wonderful stuff..

Then also nobody replied on the "reliability" of the mailbox sizes shown in C1, is that a true reflection of the users mailbox size or is this that there to fill some space, i must say i get the feeling that it is "fill some space" ...

Kind Regards,

Thys de Beer
NWPG Office of the Premier
GITO: Infrastructure
Deputy Dir: Server Administration
http://www.waytag.com/!ThysdeBeer.tag
018 388 3828
------------------
Novell -- CNE
Microsoft -- MCITP- Enterprise Administrator
Microsoft -- MCSE- Private Cloud
Vmware -- VCP5
Cobit5

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 2015-08-11 06:36 PM >>>
Archiving only happens when the client is launched, so if a user never logs in, they'll never get archived. Also, unread emails will never archive automatically.

If its an active user, check to see if the archive directory has gotten created.. if not, sometimes it takes a little push.. just right click on an email, force it to archive, which will create the folder, etc.. then the next time you launch client, it should start automatically
>>> "Thys de Beer" <thys at nwpg.gov.za> 8/11/2015 1:13 AM >>>
Morning All,

GW2012 SP4 (although this has been coming from way way back...).. 16k users 9 PO's

What could the reasons be why clients will no adhere to the cleanup settings to auto archive lets say 30 days? .. we have mailboxes growing  (limit is 750mb) to 10gb for instance (ok yes if they do not login (not active) i understand).. but we have other users growing to 100% 120-200%, which still login (because if we lock the accounts we hear about very quickly...)..... now these totals i get from ConsoleOne, how correct they are, is yet another story! are these totals reliable? i mean why would anybody "use" email and not be able to send email is beyond me.. but this seems to be my users way of using email... well at least a lot of them anyway...

So checking the client settings in C1, when i set at DO/PO level it filters through fine... or well that is what C1 says .. BUT auto archiving is simply not happening on a lot of users? ... others seems fine?..

any ideas please?

Kind Regards,

Thys de Beer
NWPG Office of the Premier
GITO: Infrastructure
Deputy Dir: Server Administration
http://www.waytag.com/!ThysdeBeer.tag
018 388 3828
Novell -- CNE
Microsoft -- MCITP- Enterprise Administrator
Microsoft -- MCSE- Private Cloud
Vmware -- VCP5
Cobit5

Disclaimer
"This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information which is confidential, private or privilege in nature and it is for the sole use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you must immediately notify the sender via electronic mail and further refrain from reading, disseminating, distributing, copying or using this message or any of its transmitted files. Any views of this message and its transmitted files are those of the sender unless the sender specifically states such views to be those of the North-West Provincial Government. Though this message and its transmitted files have been swept for the presence of computer viruses, the North-West Provincial Government accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss, damage or expenses resulting directly or indirectly from the use or access of this message or any of its transmitted files."