[ngw] GWIA Restart Daily

Elbert LaGrew Elbert.LaGrew at katun.com
Thu Feb 12 22:14:01 UTC 2015

Thanks everyone...I'm pretty sure I found this cause of this bad-boy...

If I recall, When 2012 first came out, there was a bug in the GWIA that caused it to stop responding after a certain amount of hours.  The work around was to restart the GWIA until the next time when it stopped responding...this bug has been long-since fixed..but...

Yours truly made a script ( or got it from the Forums, more likely :-)) that restarted the GWIA once a day....guess what?  I found where I put it and how it started and now I have disabled that....we'll confirm tomorrow morning at 10:30 AM...it was this time that was causing us the issues anyway...

I will let you all know if this was it, but I cannot imagine that it was not.

--El

>>> "Paul Lamontagne" <Paul.Lamontagne at lamtechconsulting.com> 02/12/15 3:36 PM >>>
Isn't a restart at midnight normal when it rolls the logs, creates acct log file.. won't explain the 10:30 am one though...maybe a maintenance run that happens on MTA cause the GWIA to restart??.... what any third party service connect to GWIA ???

Paul Lamontagne

Co-Author of The Caledonia Upgrade Guide for GroupWise 2014
http://postie.caledonia.net/store/
Become a GroupWise Power Admin
http://www.caledonia.net/register

 >>> "Joe Acquisto-j4" <joea at j4computers.com> 12/02/2015 3:33 PM >>>
"Console only" or is there a GUI active?    Did you try watching top during the time it happens?   Iffy, whatever it is may be quick.   Any remote or unusual connections?    Looks like fun time anyway.   Did you patch bash, BTW?

joe a.

>>> "Elbert LaGrew" <Elbert.LaGrew at katun.com> 02/12/15 8:11 AM >>>
It starts on boot-up...script in the /etc/init.d

Also have a cron job that goes out and re-starts it if it is down... not it's not this that's causing this...disabled this...

I also restart it manually occasionally to clear the command queue...

But this is a puzzler...so if anyone has any ideas I haven't tried...I would be most interested in trying them. :-)

--El

How do you start it up to begin with?