[ngw] Cleanup options and restrictions

Joe Brugaletta JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com
Wed Oct 7 16:10:53 UTC 2015

The option you want to look into at the domain, post office, or user level, is Client Options > Integrations > Retention.  "Backed up" is something different.  You want the "Retention" (and probably the Item store) flag to be set when Retain runs, then the user will be able to delete the message.

Hope that makes a little more sense.  check this http://support2.gwava.com/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=1054
>>> "Daniel Wells" <Daniel.Wells at mhtn.com> 10/7/2015 7:08 AM >>>
I of course did not think this through before sending the initial email.  We have GroupWise 2014 sp2 in place.  We are using GWAVA's  Reload and Retain for backup and archive respectively.  The cleanup option "Do not purge items until they are backed up" is set.

I think this is the problem.  I get the theory, but the practice is escaping me.  I am assuming I need to get it so that the archive bit is the one it pays attention rather than the backup.

I will let you know what I find.

Daniel Wells AIA, VCP
Senior Associate | IT Coordinator
MHTN Architects, Inc.
Direct: 801.326.3215 | www.mhtn.com
vision made real

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 10/6/2015 2:06 PM >>>
You cant auto-archive an email via gw client if the retention bit is enabled on the po/domain/user and the email hasn't been retained yet.
Daniel.. also, if an email is unread, it wont get auto-archived.. keep that in mind with your strategy.
Only sure fire way to prevent this and to archive email is to get a Nexic/Retain option (Im sure theres many others).
>>> "Stephen Hesser" <shesser at arandpartners.com> 10/6/2015 8:32 AM >>>
Are you using a 3rd party archive solution or native GroupWise archive? You can set a retention bit on mail in C1 under client options settings but I'm not sure if native archiving will allow the mail to be moved to the archive due to the bit being set. We use a 3rd party solution that clears the bit when it's archived, the mail can then be emptied from the trash at that point.

>>> "Daniel Wells" <Daniel.Wells at mhtn.com> 10/6/2015 10:13 AM >>>
I would like to be able to restrict the ability for a user to empty their trash.  This is the one way to defeat the archive of email.  For us email is archived when it is 7 days old, this allows a user to get the email into the correct location before archiving.  Trash is automatically dumped after 10 days.  But if they delete the email then empty their trash, this defeats the archive.

To keep this from happening, I want to be able to keep the users from emptying their trash.  Is this possible?

Daniel Wells AIA, VCP
Senior Associate | IT Coordinator
MHTN Architects, Inc.
Direct: 801.326.3215 | www.mhtn.com
vision made real

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including attachments, are privileged and confidential and/or proprietary information intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please immediately notify sender by telephone or reply email, do not use or disclose the contents to others, and delete the message and all attachments from your computer, system and/or network. Further, e-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.