[ngw] Migrate from Physical to Vmware (Converged Infrastructure)

Gregg A. Hinchman Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com
Tue Aug 2 12:46:24 UTC 2016

I concur with James.  I have only one time moved a GW server into VM using a migration tool and it was testing. Just not worth it.  Proper planning and you have short outage windows doing it clean.  The eDir side that is a bit different.

You could free GW from eDir since 2014 does not require it. If that is not do-able, then just build new eDir servers.

That said, I also prefer GW running on pure SLES boxes over OES. Just not value anymore for all the overhead of an OES box for GW.  Oh sure, NSS, but really, EXT3 has great performance and I have yet in many years now, seen where EXT3 is slower, or rather a worse performer then NSS.  At least for GroupWise.

Nearly all the customers I service/migrate/etc. are using SLES for GW and on VMWare.

Good Luck!

Take Care.

Gregg A. Hinchman, PMP

Consultant
Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com

www.HinchmanConsulting.com

765.653.8099 Office

"Courage is doing what is right."

"Do not be bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist ones. All systems of thought are guiding means, not absolute truth." Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese monk.