[ngw] modifying java path in GW8 mac client

Jim Gosney jgosney at genesco.com
Thu Dec 8 19:16:26 UTC 2016

Here's a good one for the group....

Since Microfocus refuses to update the mac client, we have taken it
upon ourselves to try to improve it.  Since it is java based, we've been
focusing on that aspect of the client.  What we've discovered is that
the default java max memory settings are ridiculously low!  (Anywhere
from 256 to 512MB).  I have found the plist.info file and discovered
where to change the xms and xmx settings to a max of 2GB and that has
shown SOME improvement.  However, I'm thinking I could do better.

According to the "about" information, the GW8 client is running java
1.6.1.  This is archaic and I would like to try to update it to use the
latest 1.9 version.  However, I can't find anywhere on the mac where
java 1.6.1 is installed.  And looking through the same plist file, env
variables, and even scanning the hard disk, I don't see any variables
that point to a java_home or equivalent.  So I'm assuming that the java
1.6.1 is somehow bundled and hardcoded into the client.

Am I wrong about this?  Is there someway to point the client to an
install of java 1.9 that I'm overlooking?

~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^~+~^
Jim Gosney
* Linux System Engineer
* Groupwise System Engineer
* Mobility Server Admin
Genesco, Inc.
Nashville, TN
615-367-7850

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or
proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the
transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person
other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an
intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or
the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it
and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.