[ngw] modifying java path in GW8 mac client

Jim Gosney jgosney at genesco.com
Thu Dec 8 19:35:57 UTC 2016

Not seeing that (unless I'm looking in the wrong place).

On my mac, the path to the mac client is /Applications/Groupwise.app.  There are further directories under there but I don't see a java folder anywhere in sight.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.

>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 12/8/2016 1:27 PM >>>
Because both the Mac and Linux clients are called the "xplat" client, I am assuming that the path structure on the mac is equivalent to linux.
If that is the case, there would be a java folder in the root of the groupwise client folder.
i have renamed the java folder and copied a currently installed jre folder to replace it. I have to rename the new jre files to java, but other than that it works fine.
I don't know that I saw any performance plus from that, but the graphics seemed to be a little better. Maybe a placebo effect, though.
I'll check my mac later when I can get to it.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Jim Gosney" <jgosney at genesco.com> 12/8/2016 2:16 PM >>>
Here's a good one for the group....

Since Microfocus refuses to update the mac client, we have taken it
upon ourselves to try to improve it.  Since it is java based, we've been
focusing on that aspect of the client.  What we've discovered is that
the default java max memory settings are ridiculously low!  (Anywhere
from 256 to 512MB).  I have found the plist.info file and discovered
where to change the xms and xmx settings to a max of 2GB and that has
shown SOME improvement.  However, I'm thinking I could do better.

According to the "about" information, the GW8 client is running java
1.6.1.  This is archaic and I would like to try to update it to use the
latest 1.9 version.  However, I can't find anywhere on the mac where
java 1.6.1 is installed.  And looking through the same plist file, env
variables, and even scanning the hard disk, I don't see any variables
that point to a java_home or equivalent.  So I'm assuming that the java
1.6.1 is somehow bundled and hardcoded into the client.

Am I wrong about this?  Is there someway to point the client to an
install of java 1.9 that I'm overlooking?

Jim Gosney
* Linux System Engineer
* Groupwise System Engineer
* Mobility Server Admin