[ngw] modifying java path in GW8 mac client

Jim Gosney jgosney at genesco.com
Fri Dec 9 17:33:07 UTC 2016

Here is what I tried so far.  I was able to locate the 1.8 jdk for macs

So I installed it and placed it in parallel so the structure looked
like this:

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0_jdk
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_111.jdk

When I run the java -version command, it reports 1.8 (so there is an
environment variable being set somewhere although I can't find it).

When I start GW, it still reports 1.6.  So I went into the info.plist
file and changed the java version line from
	<string>1.6+</string>
	<string>1.8+</string>

When I start GW, it now says "Cannot launch Groupwise, No compatible
version of Java 1.8+ is available"
It then gives me the option to QUIT or OPEN JAVA PREFERENCE

I click on OPEN JAVA PREFERENCES and nothing happens
I've looked through all the apps on my mac and can't find anything
labeled that.

(I also tried renaming the jdk1.8.0_111.jdk to just 1.8.0.jdk so the
syntax matched the 1.6 version but that didn't help).

So I had another thought.  I renamed the 1.6.0_jdk to 1.6.0_jdk.bak and
then changed the name of the 1.8 directory to 1.6.0_jdk.

When I launch GW now, it says "To open Groupwise you need to install
the legacy Java SE 6 runtime".

So all of this is telling me two things:

1.  With the version in the info.plist set to 1.6+, you can't fool the
system by coping later version files into the existing directory.

2.  Although you can change the version in the info.plist to something
else (and the client recognizes the need for a different version), this
mysterious lack of JAVA PREFERENCE setting/application/key/etc is
stopping me from getting any further.

jg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or
proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the
transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person
other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an
intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or
the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it
and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.

>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 12/9/2016 10:52 AM

Based on what you're seeing, it should use whatever the default java
is
for the system.
However, if the version is hardcoded somewhere, you may need to rename
the folder to 1.6.0.jdk
I suspect you may not have anything else using java on the mac at this
point.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Jim Gosney" <jgosney at genesco.com> 12/9/2016 10:57 AM >>>
Thanks for the reply Jeff.

I found the /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk directory.  I
assume that it would be possible to install the latest Java parallel
that.  The question would be whether or not it would be possible to
make
the GW client use the newer version instead of the old?  I did find in
the info.plist file an entry that specified the java version at 1.6.0.

I'm going to try to download and install a newer version of java.  If
can get that to happen, then I will try changing that entry in the
plist
file.  Perhaps it looks in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines for a
matching directory?

Any further thoughts would be appreciated!

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are
confidential
and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or
proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by
the
transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any
person
other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an
intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or
the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete
it
and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.

>>> "Jeffrey D. Sessler" <jeff at scrippscollege.edu> 12/8/2016 5:38 PM

The Mac GW client uses the legacy version of Sun java 1.6.x. If you
launch the GW client on a version of the Mac OS without Java
installed,
the Mac will prompt you to go get it. The legacy Java install is here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

On the Mac, It should be installed at
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

As for the memory settings. There was a final version of the GW Mac
client 8.0.2 HP4 that had several adjustments including for memory,
but
it was pulled from the Novell site because of a licensing issue. If
you
can find that version, I’d start with it. If you have it, I think it
will report Program Release 8.0.2 7/10/2012 Build Number 102299.9926.

The GW Mac client was also linked to a deprecated version of OpenSSL
which Apple stop supporting/updating i.e. it may be vulnerable to
various OpenSSL bugs.

Jeff

On 12/8/16, 11:16 AM, "ngw-bounces+jeff=scrippscollege.edu at ngwlist.com
on behalf of Jim Gosney"
<ngw-bounces+jeff=scrippscollege.edu at ngwlist.com on behalf of
jgosney at genesco.com> wrote:

    Here's a good one for the group....

    Since Microfocus refuses to update the mac client, we have taken
it
    upon ourselves to try to improve it.  Since it is java based,
we've
been
    focusing on that aspect of the client.  What we've discovered is
that
    the default java max memory settings are ridiculously low!
(Anywhere
    from 256 to 512MB).  I have found the plist.info file and
discovered
    where to change the xms and xmx settings to a max of 2GB and that
has
    shown SOME improvement.  However, I'm thinking I could do better.

    According to the "about" information, the GW8 client is running
java
    1.6.1.  This is archaic and I would like to try to update it to
use
the
    latest 1.9 version.  However, I can't find anywhere on the mac
where
    java 1.6.1 is installed.  And looking through the same plist file,
env
    variables, and even scanning the hard disk, I don't see any
variables
    that point to a java_home or equivalent.  So I'm assuming that the
java
    1.6.1 is somehow bundled and hardcoded into the client.

    Am I wrong about this?  Is there someway to point the client to an
    install of java 1.9 that I'm overlooking?

    Jim Gosney
    * Linux System Engineer
    * Groupwise System Engineer
    * Mobility Server Admin