[ngw] modifying java path in GW8 mac client

Jeffrey D. Sessler jeff at scrippscollege.edu
Fri Dec 9 23:10:32 UTC 2016

Ok found my notes and I’m 99% sure you can’t use 1.8 (or 1.7). The GW mac client was built using Apple’s native JavaAppLauncher (Jar Bundler) which only works with the legacy Java 6. In order for the GW Mac client to work with 1.7 or 1.8, it would need to be packaged using Oracles app bundler. MF could do it assuming they still have all the source data, but I’m not sure it can be done with what’s there.

Jeff

On 12/9/16, 1:56 PM, "ngw-bounces+jeff=scrippscollege.edu at ngwlist.com on behalf of Jeffrey D. Sessler" <ngw-bounces+jeff=scrippscollege.edu at ngwlist.com on behalf of jeff at scrippscollege.edu> wrote:

    I’ll take a look at this later and get back to you. I’ve ported a number of the old Novell Java based tools to Mac e.g. RConsoleJ and ConsoleOne, so let me dig up my notes from when I moved them to never versions of Java. As I recall, it’s more than just the 1.6+ setting.

    That said, the Mac GW client is sort of a hybrid where some of the java was turned into native code to improve performance where needed, so you may not see any appreciable improvement even with a later JVM. There are also a lot of changes between 1.6 and later JVMs, so I give it a 10-15% chance of even working.

    Jeff