[ngw] Mail moving to trash automatically 100 at a time.

Joe Brugaletta JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com
Thu Dec 15 19:00:53 UTC 2016

I've also seen odd things like this happen when the user messes with the windows clock date/time.. but you said you disabled auto-archiving, so that shouldn't affect much.

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Pam Robello" <pkrobello at gmail.com> 12/15/2016 10:58 AM >>>

Hi Marvin,

I can't speak to the 100 at a time as I've not seen that but could this user have an Expiration date set in their Client options?  I know you said that you did a reset on them and that should have taken care of this but since I've not personally done it, I don't know if that setting gets clobbered or not.

Pam

>>> Marvin Huffaker<mhuffaker at redjuju.com> 12/15/2016 11:40 AM >>>

I have a really weird issue with a customer..    I have one user...  when the user logs in, the client will automatically delete 100 Messages from the mailbox. It doesn't archive them. It moves them to the trash.   Exactly 100 at a time.  It will do it on login, and then every 90 Seconds 100 more will move to trash.  I can undelete them / put them back into the mailbox, but it will just delete them again.   The weirdest part is that it is only affecting messages newer than 11/11/2016.  Anything older than that is not touched.. .

So basically, any new mail that comes in ends up in the trash.   There are no rules.   I initially thought it was related to their auto-cleanup/archive settings but I have completely disabled that and it still happens.

I have reset the client options and run a standalone gwcheck on the mailbox (standard options). This has not changed the behavior.

There *ARE* about 50,000 messages in the user main mailbox..  However I have  dropped that number down by about 1300 (the same approx amount that are being moved to trash) and it still happens. Furthermore, I've only seen display issues on mailboxes with lots of items, not what seems to be a very deliberate delete action.

What is happening?

Marvin