[ngw] Antw: Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: Re: "GW5AFE.exe" equivalent for GroupWise 2014

Barth Uwe Uwe.Barth at stadt-chemnitz.de
Thu Feb 11 10:44:05 UTC 2016

Hi Morris,
how time flies! At the moment I'm confronted again with the topic to to give away mails of an archive of a leaving user to another user. Is there something new? Last time we talked about this topic you said that development team has some ideas how to implement this feature of GW5AFE in GW2014.
Best regards
Uwe

>>> "Barth Uwe" <Uwe.Barth at stadt-chemnitz.de> 19.05.2015 06:53 >>>
Hi Morris,
this sounds not bad. It's perhaps not the smartest way but it solves the problem in general.
Please put it in FTF code ... because of a lot of bugs we must use FTF code anyway (since November last year on client side and since February this year on server side) and sometimes I feel that we get a new FTF versions every few weeks to solve another problem.
Uwe

>>> "Morris Blackham" <mblackham at gw.novell.com> 18.05.2015 21:40 >>>
So here's the deal.  To address this issue we decided to go this route.

1.  Modify the client and engine to store the GW password in the archive any time the archive is accessed.  This is similar to how caching mode works.

2.  To open an archive one of these scenarios must be true
	a. If the online FID matches the archive FID,  access is allowed (how it works currently)
	b. If the online GUID matches the archive GUID,  access is allowed (also how it works currently)
	c. If neither FID or GUID match,  you will need the password set on the archive to gain access.

So,  if you want to move an archive from UserA to UserB,  you would use the same process,  but without the FID editor step,  provided that UserA used a client with changes that wrote is pwd to the archive.  1 You will still have to rename the archive dir to match the fid of UserB.  UserB would then get prompted for the PWD from UserA.

And as discussed previously,  the current option of creating a new user with a FID to match the archive works now and will work with the above changes.
Some may not like this method, be we felt it achieved somewhat better security than just removing the FID check,  but still give you enough tools to accomplish the task.

Now the bad news.   The changes to write the pwd to the achive have been put to 14.x FTF branches,  but the client changes needed to prompt for the archive password at this point will only be available in Cornell (GW14 R2).   If you all want it put to  2014FTF code,  that's a Mike Bills question/decision.

--Morris

>>> "Barth Uwe" <Uwe.Barth at stadt-chemnitz.de> 5/18/2015 1:13 AM >>>
Is there something new on this topic? Around 3 month has passed since last information.
Moving an archive from one user to another is still missed by our users.

Uwe

>>> Joseph Marton <jmmarton at gmail.com> 06.03.2015 19:52 >>>
That's why I said "more details to come." :-) Sorry folks, can't say
anything else on it yet, but it's definitely stuff we're talking about
actively.

Joe