[ngw] Temporary attachment files - security problem

Stephen Hesser shesser at arandpartners.com
Wed Feb 17 21:59:51 UTC 2016

I think Windows search (indexing) has something to do with this also.  If you remove the groupwise directory from the indexing option in the control panel for the user, you may find it to help in a few things on the machine. Or just disable the windows search in services. It's the ability to save edited files back to the email is why this directory also gets populated. I wish they would have never made this change from previous version of GW.

>>> "Ken Etter" <KLE at msktd.com> 2/17/2016 3:50 PM >>>
Until I find a better solution, I wrote a script that runs at login and every 15 minutes while the PC is running.  It removes all files from all GroupWise attachment folders.  A bit of a hack, but better than nothing.
>>> "Ken Etter" <KLE at msktd.com> 2/17/2016 11:27 AM >>>
A simple method to prevent files from being deleted.  Open a PDF attachment..  Exit the GroupWise client.  Then exit the PDF application.  PDF is not removed from the Opened Attachments folder.  This probably happens quite a bit here.
>>> "Ken Etter" <KLE at msktd.com> 2/17/2016 11:21 AM >>>
As far as I can tell, normal operation when opening attachments is that they get created in the folder specified in Tools, Options, Environment, File Location, Opened Attachments.  And when you close the email, the attachment is supposed to be deleted.  Usually that works, but there are instances where the file does not get deleted.  After a while that folder can contain a number of files.  Unfortunately due to other issues, user accounts are created with administrative rights to the local PC.  Management is concerned now because anyone could login to another person's computer and look in the Opened Attachments folder and possibly see files they should not see.  Any suggestions for how to resolve this other than removing administrative rights on all local accounts?