[ngw] GroupWise Mobility Service question

Stephen Hesser shesser at arandpartners.com
Fri Feb 19 20:25:34 UTC 2016

In DSAPP, under the heading Register / update, There is a menu item for Apply ftf / patch files.  I believe that one is in the list. You should be able to run it from there.

>>> "Gene Homan" <gene at genehoman.com> 2/19/2016 2:22 PM >>>
Is this a unique issue with your environment that you needed this GMS patch?

OR can we all benefit from this GMS patch?

What does this patch entail?

>>> Tim Mulvaney <tmulvaney at mail.millikin.edu> 02/19/16 1:45 PM >>>
Sorry that wasn't very detailed. The patch was a GMS patch built specifically to fix the plain text to html converting issue.

>>> Gene Homan <gene at genehoman.com> 2/19/2016 10:13 AM >>>
  Can you elaborate on "the patch to our system" you applied?

>>> Tim Mulvaney <tmulvaney at mail.millikin.edu> 02/19/16 9:48 AM >>>
In case anyone else has a similar problem. Here's what caused our issue and what we did to resolve it.

There was a problem converting the plain text to html on some spam messages that entered our system. We lowered our attachment size limit in GMS to below 500K, ran a subjectpurge for that message https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7003292 and did a CUSO from the dsapp. After our system was back online Novell applied a patch to our system to fix that plain text to html converting issue. Once the patch was applied we turned our attachment size limit back up.

>>> Gene Homan <gene at genehoman.com> 2/4/2016 6:25 PM >>>
You are not low on GMS disk space, are you?

>>> Tim Mulvaney <TMulvaney at mail.millikin.edu> 02/04/16 5:15 PM >>>
Yeah, it's really odd. Not sure what's going on. Have a support ticket in with Novell. We'll see what they say.

Thanks for responding.

>>> James Taylor <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 2/4/2016 4:58 PM >>>
The specs look fine to me.
I've not experienced the device service stopping.
I used to see the GroupWise service stop if it was unable to communicate with GW for some period of time, but I haven't noticed it occurring on GMS 14.2.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Tim Mulvaney <TMulvaney at mail.millikin.edu> 2/4/2016 5:16 PM >>>
Around 300 devices
VM
12G RAM
4 virtual sockets

>>> James Taylor <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 2/4/2016 1:44 PM >>>
How many devices, how much memory and how many cpu's?
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Tim Mulvaney <TMulvaney at mail.millikin.edu> 2/4/2016 1:17 PM >>>
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply. I wondered the same thing but from what I can tell the cert is OK.

I just now noticed there are several of these in /var/log/messages file.

Feb 4 01:07:34 munds kernel: [5751783.360796] TCP: Possible SYN flooding on port 443. Sending cookies.

Similar to this article.

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/493071-possible-SYN-flooding-on-port-443-Sending-cookies

>>> Jonathan Paul <JPaul at stfrancis.edu> 2/4/2016 11:10 AM >>>
Just a guess, but maybe something with the SSL cert ?

Jonathan
>>> Tim Mulvaney <TMulvaney at mail.millikin.edu> 2/4/2016 10:48 AM >>>
Hello everyone,

This morning our NDS server just stopped working in that devices can't connect to server. The Device Sync Agent has stopped responding in the Admin console. The status is Critical Unknown. Also in the Device Sync Health there's this message, There is a large number of events waiting to be converted to mobile format.

The services are still running when I issue the command "rcgms status". When I restart the service the Device Sync status is not Critical but within a few minutes it turns that way.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I see this in the engine.log
2016-02-04 08:43:10.107 WARNING [CP WSGIServer Thread-48] [engine:1083] [userID:] [eventID:] [objectID:] [] Lost connection to App Interface for default.pipeline1.mobility connector, changing status to stopped

Environment
GroupWise 2012
12.0.3-118451
GMS 2.1.0 Build 230

dsapp General Health Check results (just the failed results)
Checking Mobility Services...
Checking for PostgreSQL 8.3.23: ..running
Checking for gms config: ..running
Checking for gms web admin: ..running
Checking for gms agent manager: ..running
Checking for gms engine: ..running
Checking for gms monitor: ..running
Mobility Connector listening on port 443: true
GroupWise Connector listening on port 4500: true

Connection refused on port 443
Connection successful on port 4500

Failed.