[ngw] GWHA Problem After Upgrade

Matt Weisberg matt at weisberg.net
Wed Jan 13 02:16:16 UTC 2016

I had a site I recently upgraded from GroupWise 2012 to 2014 R2.  Most of the servers were SLES 11 SP4.  The upgrade went fine, but I could not get the GWHA service to restart a failed PO.  Everything looked configured correctly, so I tried telnetting to port 8400 on one of the upgraded servers:

Trying 192.168.0.38...
Connected to dvcpo.
Escape character is '^]'.
gwha: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Connection closed by foreign host.

I tested the one server that was a fresh SLES 12 SP1 install and it did not have this issue.

I discovered that after the upgrade, the gwha configuration in /etc/xinet.d was not updated properly, it looked like this:

service gwha
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwha
    instances = 1
    type = UNLISTED
    port = 8400
}

It was missing the environment setting for the library path, so gwha couldn’t find the libraries it needed, so I changed it to this:

service gwha
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/bin/gwha
        instances       = 1
        type            = UNLISTED
        port            = 8400
        env             = LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/novell/groupwise/agents/lib
}

And restarted xinetd (rcxinetd restart) and everything started working.

I think this is a bug in the upgrade process.  I checked some other sites that I had upgraded and they were all missing the library path in the gwha xinetd config.

Hope that saves someone some grief!

Matt

—
Matt Weisberg