[ngw] co-existence of various services on the same "box" or "boxes"

pmuhlbac at apmcomp.com pmuhlbac at apmcomp.com
Fri Jan 29 04:27:50 UTC 2016

I do more work on smaller systems that school systems/college systems.
On the small mom/pop operations, I tend to do most of my services on one
or two servers, if possible.  for the ones I virtualize, the virtualized
machine gets an internal static IP.  To get around the public IP/Ports
conflicting, I generally ask the ISP for 2 or more public IP addresses.
Then, I set up appropriate port forwarding to allow outside services to
communicate with the correct internal IP /port.

The one piece I am not certain of is whether the calendar server uses
the same public ports as the calendar publishing host.  ,

Regards,
Paul

Paul Muhlbach, A+, CNA, MCSE
APM Computer Services
Stettler, AB
Phone 403-894-5802
email: pmuhlbac at apmcomp.com
Email powered by Groupwise

>>> "Jeffrey D. Sessler" <jeff at scrippscollege.edu> 1/28/2016 4:05 PM

I learned a long time ago that it’s best to run one service per server
(physical or virtual). Virtual machines are cheap to spin up, and you
get maximum flexibility. I learned that the hard way with trying to run
IMAP with SMTP or POP on the same system.

Jeff

On 1/28/16, 2:19 PM, "ngw-bounces+jeff=scrippscollege.edu at ngwlist.com
on behalf of Daniel Wells"
<ngw-bounces+jeff=scrippscollege.edu at ngwlist.com on behalf of
Daniel.Wells at mhtn.com> wrote:

>No, I am not talking about co-existence with exchange.
>
>I am trying to run a small GroupWise system on as few "servers" as
possible, even through they are virtualized.  In particular, can the new
"calendar server" co-exist on the same "box" as my "calendar publishing
host"?  Am I going to have port issues doing so?

>Daniel Wells AIA, VCP
>Senior Associate | IT Coordinator
> MHTN Architects, Inc.
>Direct: 801.326.3215 | www.mhtn.com
> vision made real
>

>Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including attachments, are
privileged and confidential and/or proprietary information intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this is
addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received
this communication in error, please immediately notify sender by
telephone or reply email, do not use or disclose the contents to others,
and delete the message and all attachments from your computer, system
and/or network. Further, e-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions
in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy
version.