[ngw] GWDVA crashing?

Joe Brugaletta JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com
Wed Oct 5 20:56:49 UTC 2016

for last day or so multiple gwdva processes on the server are eating quite a bit of CPU. Not sure if its playing catch up or what..and users are reporting searches are very slow.

(this paste from TOP might not come through sorted properly..)

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S   %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
15504 root	  25   5  353m 193m  11m R     96  1.9   3:29.30 gwdva
15344 root	  25   5  249m  82m  10m S     50  0.8   1:06.60 gwdva
15688 root	  25   5  162m  22m 9316 S     50  0.2   0:22.35 gwdva
 6039 root      20   0  521m 269m 9904 S      3  2.7 356:41.91 gwpoa

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Gene Homan" <gene at genehoman.com> 10/4/2016 8:59 AM >>>
Make sure you have more than one DVA assigned to your POA.  I assign up to three per POA and stagger the load among a pool of three DVAs for all my POAs and WebAccess services in the same network location.  The WebAccess service puts a heavier load on the DVAs since its asking the DVA to convert the file to HTML format while the POA just asks for "word lists" to be sent back.

Make sure you are running build 124209 or newer of the DVA where Micro Focus improved the behavior of the DVA.  So 14.2.1.1 would have the DVA fixes in it.

Check the DVA log files (hope it was in verbose mode).  The latest DVA will auto cleanup the TMP files left behind by the Oracle Stellent subroutine.

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 10/04/16 10:30 AM >>>
Every night at 8pm I get an email saying "QuickFinder Indexing will not start until the configured DVA is active"

If I check "rcgrpwise status" the gwdva is "dead".  Anyway to figure out whats happening? or any temp files that need to be cleared?