[ngw] Antw: Re: OT: Common Appliance for Micro Focus products and Add-ons

Thomas Stimper tstimper at nmedv.de
Fri Oct 7 13:58:48 UTC 2016

>From your description, this sounds less like an appliance than a
>template, with add-on repositories.

A template could be another way of deployment, a template will be
deployed
and after that configured and after a while all installatins which
where
deployed from this template will be different, at least at different
customers.

A appliance like the curent Filr appliance has a strongly defined way
for setup and
patching. And for upgrades is is easy to move the data disk to the new
appliance.

>In most cases, I have found appliance based apps to be a real
>straightjacket in regards to deploying in different environments I
deal
>with, and I much prefer installing an app on a base platform.
I agree, i simply would like to standarize as most as i can ( also for
different customers)
and like to have only a small part of the installation cutomerized.

A standarized base OS appliance with add on products would help.
Of course i could create SuseStudo or autoyast based installations,
but that i had to develop by myself and that would not help me with the
appliance-only products.

>There are a few exceptions. Firewalls, for example. I don't have a
>problem with an appliance based application model, so long as an
install
>option is available, but an appliance-only option is something I find
>very restrictive.

firewalls are a very goot example of (sometimes) well designed
appliances.
Their design is very restrictive, services are running in different
changeroot contexts

I would like to find a balance beetween easy and fast deployment and
maintenance and easy customization.

Perhaps using containers like docker could help, we would have a base
OS installation (native or appliance) and
add on products as docker containers.

I would not see the need of a Common Appliance if all products would be
available as native installations.
But now there are some appliance only products, so there should be
something like a Common Appliance.

Thomas

>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 05.10.2016 16:52
>>>
>From your description, this sounds less like an appliance than a
template, with add-on repositories.
I could get behind that sort of an idea.
In most cases, I have found appliance based apps to be a real
straightjacket in regards to deploying in different environments I
deal
with, and I much prefer installing an app on a base platform.
There are a few exceptions. Firewalls, for example. I don't have a
problem with an appliance based application model, so long as an
install
option is available, but an appliance-only option is something I find
very restrictive.
 -jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Thomas Stimper" <tstimper at nmedv.de> 10/5/2016 6:08 AM >>>
Recently at GWAVAcon in Berlin and at the MF Summit i had discussions
about the posibility of a
Common Appliance for Micro Focus products and Add-ons.

I just put the idea into the portal. Because there is no common portal
for new ideas
i put it into the different product portals.

Common Appliance for Micro Focus products and Add-ons

for easy deployment, maintaining and scaling it would be good to have
common appliance for Micro Focus products and Add-ons

- Deployment as VM basic template (SLES11/12)
- Store / repository for installable products
- Update over SMT server (SMT server would be on the first Appliance)
- Install Micro Focus Products like SMT, Filr, Vibe, GMS, GroupWise,
GroupWise Messenger, iPrint, ServiceDesk, ZCM, OES ...
- Install common products like Database (MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL)
- Install common products for search indexer
- Install Add-on products like GWAVA, Retain, KeyShield SSO,
SecureAnyBox
- common solution for backup
- common monitoring

https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-filr/Idea/Detail/12337
https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-gw/Idea/Detail/12338
https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-iprint/Idea/Detail/12339
http
s://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-vibe/Idea/Detail/12340
https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-oes/Idea/Detail/12341
https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-nsd/Idea/Detail/12342
https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-zam/Idea/Detail/12343
https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-zcm/Idea/Detail/12344