[ngw] Korean character set?

Ken Etter KLE at msktd.com
Thu Oct 20 20:02:19 UTC 2016

Final follow-up...

The same user replied back to our email that did not have the bad address and this time it came back normal.  Really the oddest thing.  I have no idea how she could've gotten an email address entry for this user with Korean characters in the address.  Or why that would've caused the response it did.  If anyone has any thoughts, I'd like to hear them.  Otherwise I guess it will just remain unknown.

Ken
>>> "Ken Etter" <KLE at msktd.com> 10/20/2016 11:55 AM >>>
Tracked down some more info...

User in our office sent an email to a number of people.  She had a bad entry in her frequent contacts for one of the recipients.  That recipient's entry had Korean characters mixed in with English in the domain part of the email address.  Checked the sent item and it had tried to deliver to that person and eventually gave up since the domain was non-existent.  But when one of the otherr recipients replied it came back to us in Korean.  Deleted the bad entry and had her resend.  Waiting now to see what happens when the recipient replies to this one.  My guess so far is that something about the email we sent confused things on the other end so that it replied back with the Korean character set.  But that is just guesswork.

I have no clue how she got the messed up frequent contacts entry and no clue as to why that caused the problem.  If anyone can enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

Ken

>>> "Ken Etter" <KLE at msktd.com> 10/20/2016 11:13 AM >>>
This is weird.  Had an email come in to one of my users here and he was seeing strange text in the subject.  I had him forward it to me and the message source has this:

So the text is displaying in Korean for all the recipients at our office.  He contacted recipients at other companies, and it showed up normally for them.   This was sent by a local company that we work with on a regular basis.  Any idea why this would happen?  I'm stumped.

Ken