[ngw] Forward/relay emails for individuals

Ian Blackwood ian.blackwood at golding.com.au
Mon Oct 24 23:27:49 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

In SMTP parlance this is known as a "non-local delivery" or similar. Certainly possible - as old as the hills actually.

Exchange does this if you set some options (default is to fail non-local delivery).

GroupWise does it by default. Or at least it used to !

You should see any messages go out the GWIA in an attempt to be delivered.

I can't remember off the top of my head what you need to do, but I suspect it is MX records or GWIA's route.cfg.

I assume that Google is accepting messages addressed with your domain - i.e. you aren't readdressing them.

Note that means any message from the Internet to a student will transit your systems on the way to Google.

Having said that, most schools would have @faculty.school.edu and @students.school.edu so it is amazingly obvious who you are dealing with and prevent the schools name being used by someone pretending to be staff...

Cheers

Ian

>I'm not sure this is possible, but I thought I would pose the question. I'm told this is possible with Exchange, but I'm definitely not going that route.

>Hypothetical Scenario:

>Let's say we have staff email accounts (hosted on our GroupWise 2014 system running on OES), and we want to add student email accounts in the same domain. But we want the student accounts hosted by Google instead of storing all of >that mail locally. All of our students have eDirectory accounts, and eDir populates the Google accounts/passwords via GADS. I'm told that with Exchange as the local server, it can be configured so that all mail would be attempted to >be delivered locally, but when the system doesn't see a mailbox for a student account, the message can be relayed to the student's Gmail mailbox. Is it possible to accomplish that with GroupWise?

>Additional notes:

>* I know this could be accomplished with a bunch of forwarding rules on individual GroupWise accounts, but I would like to keep the "From" address in tact as opposed to the users seeing the message was forwarded from GroupWise.

>* I know using a separate domain for students would allow delivery directly to Google. Unfortunately, that isn't the end goal in this exercise.

>Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated!

>Thank you!

>Mike

This email transmission including any attachments is confidential and may also contain copyright material. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or use the information contained herein. If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the transmission from your system.
Golding accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email or its attachments due to errors, viruses, interference or interceptions.