[ngw] Slighty OT - Universal Passwords

Keith Larson klarson at k12group.net
Fri Oct 28 16:59:11 UTC 2016

I have done this at several customers and it went very well.  I believe that this allows them to use the GroupWise web client to changed their eDirectory password as well.  I do recommend setting up SSPR to allow them to reset passwords on other devices like chromebooks if that applies to you.

The only catch on the OES client change password is if you have ZCM installed and using DLU, you must uncheck the local workstation pw when you do the change.

Keith Larson
Franklin Computer Services - K12 Group
614.561.4887
klarson at k12group.net

Finally getting around to doing this.. we currently have Edir/Ad/GW passwords that we have to maintain.. not very secure ones either and maintained by IT department. I'm looking to implement stronger passwords and have them preferably sync to AD, also enable a Forgot Password type thing on the client. Users login to the OES Client initially, which passes credentials to the computer (domain joined), then zenworks, and login succeeds.  GW *could* have a separate password, which they'd have to login again to the GW client, but most are the same. We're also using GW Mobility, if that comes into play.

If I enable LDAP Auth to GW.. that would remove having to maintain gw password, right?

Anyone know if you can have the OES client change the AD password and how well it works?

I don't think I need to go the IDM route.. but maybe..

Thanks for any insight/experiences!

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.
NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.