[ngw] Report quantity of outbound emails

Jim Gosney jgosney at genesco.com
Thu Sep 15 14:50:59 UTC 2016

The GWIA's daily accounting report shows all GWIA traffic, inbound and
outbound.  If I recall, it's a comma-delimited file so you could open it
in excel and filter out just the outbound messages from the person in
question.

I haven't used it since upgrading to 2014 so I don't know if it has been
changed but I did use it quite a bit in 2012 to determine the same type
of information.

jg

>>> "Jeffrey D. Sessler" <jeff at scrippscollege.edu> 09/15/16 9:35 AM >>>
Mike,

The best solution I found was to use my email security appliance
(Ironport) as the relay for all outbound email originating from GWIA.
Not only could I get detailed reports such as top N senders, when an
account was compromised, out Ironport tended to block the wave of
outbound SPAM and/or slow it down i.e. we rate-limit the number of
emails outbound per user/per hour. The appliance will also alert you to
high-volume senders.

GWIA just doesn’t have the level of control.

Jeff

On 9/15/16, 6:01 AM, "ngw-bounces+jeff=scrippscollege.edu at ngwlist.com on
behalf of Mike Lichtenwalner"
<ngw-bounces+jeff=scrippscollege.edu at ngwlist.com on behalf of
lichtemi at mtwp.net> wrote:

    Is there a way to get a report from the GWIA of the number of emails
each person has sent? In the past we have seen a user's password
discovered by a spammer, and the account was used to send spam.
Eventually the user notified us that he was receiving a very large
quantity of bounced emails for messages he didn't send. (We are
addressing this problem in several proactive ways..;-)  If we could see
trends in people's message sending habits, we could easily identify a
sudden spike in outgoing messages.

    We are running GW 2014 on OES.

    Thanks for any suggestions!
    Mike

    __________________________________
    Mike Lichtenwalner
    Coordinator of Technical Services
    Manheim Township School District
    Lancaster, PA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
and may also be privileged. No waiver of any legal privilege or
proprietary right is intended or shall be deemed to have occurred by the
transmission of this e-mail or its contents or attachments to any person
other than the originally intended recipient.  If you are not an
intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorized use, dissemination, storage or copying of this e-mail or
the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it
and immediately notify the sender by telephone. Thank you.