[ngw] GW 2014 client upgrade automation

Paul Lamontagne Paul.Lamontagne at lamtechconsulting.com
Thu Jun 15 22:04:09 UTC 2017

have you looked at the docs in the interoperability guide, it has the entire deploy with ZENworks bundle creation process. It;s basic and you can add bells and whistles like checking to amake sure the grpwise.exe is closed before launching etc...but it gives the basic install actions needed..

Paul
>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 2017-06-15 11:43 AM >>>
Nah not yet, not until I try it. I'm actually talking to Lex as well about the RIGHT way to install GroupWise client. either manually or via zenworks. I tried calling "install.bat /unattended" and I got a pop up that said ".net is already installed" and waited for an "OK" to be pressed. Not expected :) Going back to the "ordinal not found" issue, the bugzilla reports said that you need to use install.bat to apply the "fix" for that.. and not to use setup.exe or GroupWise.msi (I always used zenworks to call GroupWise.msi in prior versions)..

So just trying to roll this client out ;) the right way..

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.
NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Pam Robello" <pkrobello at gmail.com> 6/15/2017 8:38 AM >>>

How very true.  Do you want me to let Alex know to close the SR?  I will also chat with Jay and see if he has any ideas on this one.

Pam

>>> Joe Brugaletta<JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 6/15/2017 9:31 AM >>>

I know it :) Alex and I were scratching heads yesterday.. thankfully (and unfortunately).. once I have it working, I'll probably never need it again.. lol. Doesn't help much for troubleshooting, but..

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Pam Robello" <pkrobello at gmail.com> 6/15/2017 8:30 AM >>>

and I do so hate those weird and inconsistent ones  :-(    They are not only the worst one for you guys but for us in trying to duplicate and for engineering in trying to fix.  Dang computers anyway.

>>> Joe Brugaletta<JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 6/15/2017 9:18 AM >>>

It seems very hit/miss to get it to work or not.. lots of toggling on/off, triggering updates, forcing updates. Pretty weird and inconsistent.

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Pam Robello" <pkrobello at gmail.com> 6/15/2017 7:51 AM >>>

Hey Paul,

I know that Alex is still working with Joe on the SR but I wanted to see if you had a defect number for your report or did you report it in the beta forums?

Thanks,

Pam

>>> Paul Lamontagne<Paul.Lamontagne at lamtechconsulting.com> 6/15/2017 8:26 AM >>>

Hi Joe,

Yes, there was an issue with it triggering on teh per user level. I had reported that when 2014 first came out.  It didn;t work at all. They only had it for teh PO or Domain Level.

Paul

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 06/13/17 7:48 PM >>>

Possible defect.. seems you have to Enable Auto Update at the PO level, then toggle it back off, for it to kick in on a per-user level. Tech support looking into it

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 6/13/2017 3:01 PM >>>

I must be missing something.. but I'm trying to get a user to trigger an update of her client. Shes in a secondary domain/post office... running 2012 client. I went into her user account and did "Enable client update".. then went to the PO level and hit "Trigger update".. I did NOT "Enable update" at the PO level.

My understanding is that should be enough to trigger her update, but it's not doing it. Any ideas?

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Paul Lamontagne" <Paul.Lamontagne at lamtechconsulting.com> 6/13/2017 11:47 AM >>>

sorry for the tardy reply, but yes..must be win32/win32  silly indeed, but it is what it is....

glad it worked out

Paul

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 06/13/17 1:07 PM >>>

Nevermind! Figured it out.. you have to create a second win32 folder and copy setup.cfg into that.

opt/novell/groupwise/agents/data/client/setup/win32/win32/setup.cfg

Now it's working as planned.. thanks!

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 6/13/2017 9:50 AM >>>

I believe it was Paul who mentioned modifying and copying the setup.cfg and setup.ini files into /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/data/client/setup/win32 folder in order to make the auto-update (via POA) automatic without any user intervention. I'm attempting to do that now and it's not working.. when my test user attempts to open GroupWise, they are prompted with "There is new software available" (as expected) and clicks YES/OK. SetupIP starts copying files to %temp% and then they get the GroupWise Welcome screen with NEXT button waiting for them to push it.

Setup.cfg has ShowDialogs=No, ShowProgress=Yes, and setup.ini has EnableLangDlg=N

Am I missing something?

ngw at ngwlist.com

ngw at ngwlist.com