[ngw] GW 2014 client upgrade automation

Joe Brugaletta JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com
Thu Jun 15 22:17:47 UTC 2017

Yeah but a "Trigger update" doesn't result in a re-installation for a client who already has the current version. So it must check something else, too. My logic says you do a Trigger Update if you have a new version of software, and want those who are set to update=enabled, to update. If a user has 2012 client, and I enable their Auto Update to allow them to be pushed the "current" software.. why would I have to bump software version/trigger update again? That applies to everyone, not just this user.

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Paul Lamontagne" <Paul.Lamontagne at lamtechconsulting.com> 6/15/2017 3:07 PM >>>
The trigger update is important as that is how the software is compared to what is installed on the local machine. If bump numbers are the same it says software is same and will not start the install.  You could have uses at different versions and some that have had a manual install. so bump number could be off in the registry...

Paul
>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 2017-06-15 1:42 PM >>>
Pam,
from what I can tell.. you *have* to hit Trigger Update every time you make a change. For example, if I want USERA to get prompted for update.. I went in and did "Enable Auto Update"..restarted her gw client.. nothing. Checked Force Update/Prompt until Update.. still nothing. User was only prompted after I checked "Trigger Update".  So it seems, everytime you enable someone for auto-update, you have to bump the software build.. which seems kind of wrong to me. Should only have to do that if there is a true new version, IMHO.

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.
NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Pam Robello" <pkrobello at gmail.com> 6/15/2017 8:41 AM >>>

You can reply to me offlist with this info if you wanted to.  I just talked to Jay.  He said that this should definitely go in as a defect and we should get a tid out there.  I will do both, submit the defect and create the tid.  If you could give me all of the steps you took to get it to work, or as close as you can remember, I will get the tid written this afternoon.

Thanks!

Pam

>>> Joe Brugaletta<JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 6/15/2017 9:31 AM >>>

I know it :) Alex and I were scratching heads yesterday.. thankfully (and unfortunately).. once I have it working, I'll probably never need it again.. lol. Doesn't help much for troubleshooting, but..

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Pam Robello" <pkrobello at gmail.com> 6/15/2017 8:30 AM >>>

and I do so hate those weird and inconsistent ones  :-(    They are not only the worst one for you guys but for us in trying to duplicate and for engineering in trying to fix.  Dang computers anyway.

>>> Joe Brugaletta<JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 6/15/2017 9:18 AM >>>

It seems very hit/miss to get it to work or not.. lots of toggling on/off, triggering updates, forcing updates. Pretty weird and inconsistent.

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Pam Robello" <pkrobello at gmail.com> 6/15/2017 7:51 AM >>>

Hey Paul,

I know that Alex is still working with Joe on the SR but I wanted to see if you had a defect number for your report or did you report it in the beta forums?

Thanks,

Pam

>>> Paul Lamontagne<Paul.Lamontagne at lamtechconsulting.com> 6/15/2017 8:26 AM >>>

Hi Joe,

Yes, there was an issue with it triggering on teh per user level. I had reported that when 2014 first came out.  It didn;t work at all. They only had it for teh PO or Domain Level.

Paul

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 06/13/17 7:48 PM >>>

Possible defect.. seems you have to Enable Auto Update at the PO level, then toggle it back off, for it to kick in on a per-user level. Tech support looking into it

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 6/13/2017 3:01 PM >>>

I must be missing something.. but I'm trying to get a user to trigger an update of her client. Shes in a secondary domain/post office... running 2012 client. I went into her user account and did "Enable client update".. then went to the PO level and hit "Trigger update".. I did NOT "Enable update" at the PO level.

My understanding is that should be enough to trigger her update, but it's not doing it. Any ideas?

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Paul Lamontagne" <Paul.Lamontagne at lamtechconsulting.com> 6/13/2017 11:47 AM >>>

sorry for the tardy reply, but yes..must be win32/win32  silly indeed, but it is what it is....

glad it worked out

Paul

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 06/13/17 1:07 PM >>>

Nevermind! Figured it out.. you have to create a second win32 folder and copy setup.cfg into that.

opt/novell/groupwise/agents/data/client/setup/win32/win32/setup.cfg

Now it's working as planned.. thanks!

NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" lines of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure or unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way.

NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION.  If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to retain counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 6/13/2017 9:50 AM >>>

I believe it was Paul who mentioned modifying and copying the setup.cfg and setup.ini files into /opt/novell/groupwise/agents/data/client/setup/win32 folder in order to make the auto-update (via POA) automatic without any user intervention. I'm attempting to do that now and it's not working.. when my test user attempts to open GroupWise, they are prompted with "There is new software available" (as expected) and clicks YES/OK. SetupIP starts copying files to %temp% and then they get the GroupWise Welcome screen with NEXT button waiting for them to push it.

Setup.cfg has ShowDialogs=No, ShowProgress=Yes, and setup.ini has EnableLangDlg=N

Am I missing something?

ngw at ngwlist.com

ngw at ngwlist.com