[ngw] GW - Authentication - change from edir to AD/LDAP

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue May 2 16:07:41 UTC 2017

As along as the user names and passwords are the same for edir and AD, it's relatively painless.
You would need to make sure the po's are set for ldap authentication for eDir, then you can additionally point po's to the AD directory's ldap.
If all this is in place, you should be able to do a re-Association in one operation.
I would test this with one or two users to make sure there were no unanticipated gotchas, but for the most part it is fairly easy.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Garry Bowers" <gbowers at lpcsc.k12.in.us> 5/2/2017 11:41 AM >>>
We are moving our GW 2014 from authentication to the edir to AD / LDAP.  Or at least that is our plan.

Currently, as users require maintenance with GW I am breaking the association of the GW account with edir.  And then I manually place a password in the GW account.  All is fine with this, but I think we'd like to have the passwords or rather the GW clients authenticate to the AD.  Am I correct in thinking this would be with LDAP?
And, if I were to cut the server from authenticating with edir and point it to the AD LDAP source what impact will that have on the GW clients?  Will their GW clients automatically attempt to authenticate to the AD LDAP service, and would they need to put in the AD passwords associated with there AD accounts?
Or... should I simply cut the association with edir and maintain the GW accounts in a manual fashion.  I'd rather not but am trying to keep the switch over as painless not only for the clients but for me too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Garry

Garry Bowers
Network Operations Manager