[ngw] No more users on PO - OFFILES = 70gb

Graham Marsh gm at axiom.hk
Sat May 20 08:57:42 UTC 2017

I'm planning  to do something like this on a PO that's been in use for over
15 years with about 3.5 million files in offiles:

- copy the PO structure EXCEPT offiles to some other machine
- run standalone gwcheck; we will need to do Contents + Attachment File
Check. Don't need Fix Problems
- it is expected that for every missing needed file under offiles, gwcheck
will add the following to the logfile e.g.:
Problem 82- Inaccessible attachment file
(/data/gw/po/offiles/fd24/592062ed.000) referenced in record 8258 (0xC081)
- then it is a simple matter to know which files are needed (all those
Problem 82 items which show the full path), and which are not (everything
else); so it is then trivial to separate them and keep the unneeded files
somewhere as a backup
- on a full clone of the PO, test separating needed from unneeded files;
run gwchecks to ensure no errors
- consider doing it on the production PO

At least, that is my theory. I can report back with the results.