[ngw] No more users on PO - OFFILES = 70gb

David Krotil David.Krotil at hilo.cz
Sat May 20 17:05:20 UTC 2017

Creating second POA and moving all users there will do the same job
without downtime .. .

e-mailové zprávy.

about it.

>>> Graham Marsh <gm at axiom.hk> 20.05.2017 10:57 >>>
I'm planning  to do something like this on a PO that's been in use for
over
15 years with about 3.5 million files in offiles:

- copy the PO structure EXCEPT offiles to some other machine
- run standalone gwcheck; we will need to do Contents + Attachment
File
Check. Don't need Fix Problems
- it is expected that for every missing needed file under offiles,
gwcheck
will add the following to the logfile e.g.:
Problem 82- Inaccessible attachment file
(/data/gw/po/offiles/fd24/592062ed.000) referenced in record 8258
(0xC081)
- then it is a simple matter to know which files are needed (all those
Problem 82 items which show the full path), and which are not
(everything
else); so it is then trivial to separate them and keep the unneeded
files
somewhere as a backup
- on a full clone of the PO, test separating needed from unneeded
files;
run gwchecks to ensure no errors
- consider doing it on the production PO

At least, that is my theory. I can report back with the results.

On 23 November 2016 at 00:42, Joe Brugaletta
<JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com>
wrote:

> Oh I think its perfectly safe to delete them right now.. but I just
hate
> the fact that theres so much leftover that gw didn't clean up on its
own.
> Can easily blow it away without worry, but was hoping there was a
better
> way to do it. Then I could use that way to clean up the other post
offices
> without having to move all users.
>
> NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended
> SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc"
lines
> of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your receipt of
this
> email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent disclosure
or
> unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights to
> confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.  Pursuant
> those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all
copies of
> the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately
NOTIFY the
> sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy, forward
or rely
> on the email and its attachments in any way.
>
> NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS
COMMUNICATION.
> If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this
firm
> does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to
retain
> counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of the
sender
> for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to
this
> email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

> In the absence of a function in gwcheck I guess the one way to
determine
> potential fileset to delete could be a procedure such as:
> - create a clone of the production PO and use it to:
> - delete all the users
> - set the clock forward at least +30 days, run normal gwcheck daily
&
> weekly mai
ntenance procedures

<JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com

> > wrote:
> >
> > > Because thats too simple and doesn't really solve anything re:
why gw
> > > doesnt clean up after itself :) eventually I"ll get rid of
it/delete
> > folder
> > > structure.. but wondering if any gwchecks will do some cleanup.
> > >
> > > NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and
intended
> > > SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and
"Bcc"
> lines
> > > of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your
receipt of
> > this
> > > email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent
disclosure or
> > > unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights
> > > confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.
Pursuant to
> > > those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all
copies
> of
> > > the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately
NOTIFY
> > the
> > > sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy,
forward or
> > rely
> > > on the email and its attachments in any way.
> > >
> > > NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS
> COMMUNICATION.
> > > If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter,
this
> > firm
> > > does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to
retain
> > > counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of
the
> sender
> > > for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable
to this
> > > email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

> > > Are you planning to retire that
PO?
> [...]
any
> > > activity on the PO. Sure, we've been through many versions of
gw.. but
> > > come'on ;)
> > >
> > > What settings should I use with forceclean in gwcheck? happy to
post
> > > results, but not expecting much.
> > >
> > > Seems the only way to get a nice clean post office is to move all
the
> > > users to a new one.. not very practical, unfortunately.
> > >
> > > NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and
intended
> > > SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the "To", "Cc" and
"Bcc"
> lines
> > > of this email.  If you are not an intended recipient, your
receipt of
> > this
> > > email and its attachments is the result of an inadvertent
disclosure or
> > > unauthorized transmittal.  Sender reserves and asserts all rights
> > > confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply.
Pursuant to
> > > those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all
copies
> of
> > > the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately
NOTIFY
> > the
> > > sender of your receipt of this email.  DO NOT review, copy,
forward or
> > rely
> > > on the email and its attachments in any way.
> > > NOTICE: NO DUTIES ARE ASSUMED, INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS
> COMMUNICATION.
> > > If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter,
this
> > firm
> > > does NOT represent you as your attorney.  You are encouraged to
retain
> > > counsel of your choice if you desire to do so.  All rights of
the
> sender
> > > for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable
to this
> > > email and any attachments are expressly reserved.

> > > As I understand it, the gwcheck procedures cannot test every file
under
> > > offiles for every possible scenario...it would be too expensive
to do
> so.
> > > Over time and through many upgrade versions of GW, it's possible
for
> > > redundant files to build up. There's a forceclean option in
gwcheck but
> > > there are risks of using it on a production PO (although I guess
not on
> > > your PO with no users) so it isn't documented. I wonder how many
of
> those
> > > files in your empty PO would actually be removed with
forceclean.

> > > I had a similar query for a customer. For them I did some
analysis on
> the
> > > offiles and joined in the related discussion in bugzilla ID
983291.
> Short
> > > answer is that you probably cannot do anything much about those
excess
> > > files on a production PO since the process of determining which
files
> > they
> > > are would be too time-consuming and isn't implemented in
gwcheck.

> > > On the other hand, a huge number of excess files slows down the
weekly
> > > gwcheck maintenance significantly, so I agree it is an
annoyance.

> > > On 17 November 2016 at 00:13, Joe Brugaletta <
> JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com

> > users
OFFILES