[ngw] Antw: GroupWise Empties Trash after 7 days, regardless of settings

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Jun 25 03:42:53 UTC 2018

Just a wild idea....
Very old bug with GW admin were it is not displaying the actual db setting for that attribute.
The only way to reset it was to toggle it to the opposite, save, then toggle back to the desired attribute setting and save again.
Have you set trash to empty afte x days, save, then set back to manual and save again?
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Craig Meads" <craigm at cwise.co.nz> 6/24/2018 10:54 PM >>>
We have now tried everything with this issue, that we have on two sites.

Removed client with removel tool and reinstalled. Structural Rebuild, Resetting Client options, Locking down Client options to Manual Empty at Domain and Post Office, then Client as well, and performing structural rebuilds again.

At one site the issue is resolved.

At the other site it is on-going. We even setup a new user as Trashtest and it all seemed to be good. We then Shared emails from Matt, the affected user, and transferred ownership. Once re renamed Matt to Mattold and Trashtest to Matt, the Trash began emptying after 7 days again. To me it implies there is a registry setting tied to the username, not the 3 digit code, somewhere.

Novell support could only give me a few links to old TIDs' which were of no help or use.

So I'm putting this out there again.

Cheers

Craig
>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 23/03/2018 14:28 >>>
Gotcha. Technically there could be a gwcheck running against just the one user though. Any phones involved? are we sure the user isnt doing it? Even if they say they're not doing it lol =)

>>> "Craig Meads" <craigm at cwise.co.nz> 3/22/2018 6:05 PM >>>
Can't see anything that is a red flag. There is remove temporary/backup 7 days, but that would affect all users if it was related. It's only one email box.
>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 23/03/2018 13:35 >>>
Hmm.. confusing one. I don't know if this has already been mentioned, too many emails to go back through.. but if you load up the web interface for the post office.. (port 7181).. under Configuration tab at the bottom, anything interesting under Database Maintenance that might contain an expire job?

>>> "Craig Meads" <craigm at cwise.co.nz> 3/22/2018 5:23 PM >>>
No we don't. It's a brand new system, and we migrated them over from Outlook/Exchange.

>>> "Joe Brugaletta" <JBrugaletta at braytonlaw.com> 23/03/2018 13:18 >>>
Do you have any kind of retention software? I vaguely remember there being some options in those that can "delete mail from client after retained" kinda thing..

>>> "Craig Meads" <craigm at cwise.co.nz> 3/22/2018 5:08 PM >>>
Thanks, but I didn't.....as an update, I have tried locking down the option to Manual at the domain, and Post Office, and rebuilt the Post Office. I  have GW-Checked the user, but nothing has worked.

Yesterday, I set up a new user, and migrated everything from the old user, and it still happens, even though the new user defaulted to Manual Empty on creation. Other users on the same PO are fine.

Novell haven't been of much help. I suspect there is a bit in a file somewhere that is doing it. Any backend activities would be affecting other users.

I still have some things to try and will port an update next week.

Cheers

Craig
>>> "Mathias Faust" <Mathias.Faust at gruner.ch> 14/03/2018 01:21 >>>
Hi Craig,

check if you have a maintenance job (POA -> Schedulded Events -> check events -> "Expire/Reduce") that has "Trash older than x days" active.
That deletes mails from Trash regardless of the client settings.

regards
Mathias

>>> "Craig Meads" <craigm at cwise.co.nz> 13.03.2018 04:07 >>>
Has anyone experienced this in GroupWise 14.2.2?

Domain, PO, and User client options set to Manual empty, and Windows Client also set to Manual empty, yet it continues to empty the Trash after 7 days? GWCheck is fine, uninstalled the client, then run CleanIt, reinstalled client, but still no change.

Cheers

Craig Meads

11 Gover St, PO Box 279
New Plymouth 4340, New Zealand
Ph 64 6 7575767, Fax 64 6 7575769 Mob 021420521

craigm at cwise.co.nz, www.cwise.co.nz