[ngw] Upgrade migration

Matt Schlawin MSchlawin at FVLHS.ORG
Mon Mar 12 20:52:19 UTC 2018

I browsed to /tmp and tried to save.  Same thing.

And you are correct, it does have the --home attribute set in my .poa
startup file.

What is the purpose of the path in the admin console if the home is set
in the poa startup file?

Matt
>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 3/12/2018 2:12 PM

Have you tried browsing to an alternate location, saving it, then
repeating with correct location?
May not help, but sometimes there will be undisplayed characters that
can create a mess.
It may have occurred at some point in the past, and is only being seen
because you need to manipulate the config.
The one attribut that still gets set in the poa start file is the home
directory. That's more than likely why you can still start your poa,
even though the path is scrambled in admin.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Matt Schlawin" <MSchlawin at FVLHS.ORG> 3/12/2018 2:48 PM >>>
OK, I have been doing a bunch of research on this, and I think I need
clean up my production system before I try the upgrade for a third
time.

On my production GW 2014 R2 system, when I look at the path to the
post
office, instead of seeing:
/media/nss/GWVOL/teachpo    (which is the correct path to the NSS
volume containing my post office)

I see:
/media/n	 (which should NOT work, but yet my GW system is
running
just fine!)

If I try to change that path, I can browse to the correct location,
but
when I click OK, It immediately crashes the admin service.

If I do a GET to the REST API to see what data it returned:
https://fvlgw.fvlhs.org:9710/gwadmin-service/domains/fvlhs/postoffices

returns a path of

<path>/media/nL</path>

but if I repeat several more identical GET commands, I see:
<path>/media/n(¤</path>
<path>/media/n</path>
<path>/media/nrans </path>
<path>/media/nallyu </path>

Why is that changing each time?

Does anyone know how I can change that path so that it looks correct
and does not crash the admin service?

Once I get that to work, I think my upgrade will go just fine.

Matt

>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 2/25/2018 11:44 AM

I don't believe the list allows attachments.
When you tried to browse to the new PO location, were you running the
browser from the same server the PO db was on.
If so were you logged in as root?
If you run the browser from a different server or PC, it wouldn't be
able to browse the path.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Matt Schlawin" <MSchlawin at FVLHS.ORG> 2/24/2018 10:48 PM >>>
hmm...looks like the images from my previous post were stripped.  I
have
them attached.
>>> "Matt Schlawin" <MSchlawin at FVLHS.ORG> 2/24/2018 9:43 PM >>>
Hey everyone,

So I gave the upgrade a run and I made it almost to the end and could
not get past the very last step.

I did the migration as James Taylor described (thanks James) and it
worked beautifully.  I just mounted a share from my new server, and
the
data copied beautifully and quickly.  I did a couple of "first" passes
and then shut down the GW services and did the "second" dbcopy.  I ran
the installer on my new server and it found my domain and everything
was
looking good.  I started up the admin console and everything was
there,
except my PO, which was still pointing to my old path on the old
server.
I think all I had to do was change the path to the PO and everything
would work.

My old path on OES and NSS was :  /media/nss/GWVOL/teachpo
and my path on the new server is just /gwdata/teachpo

KABOOM.  If I tried to browse to my new path, I got a "Unable to
retrieve information from the remote system" error.  No problem...I'll
just type it in.

As soon as I type *anything* into the folder field and hit save, I get
a very descriptive error at the top of the screen that says " * 0 "
and
the gwadmin service immediately crashes.  After trying for about an
hour
to get past this, I shut it all down and fired up my o
riginal server.

But I think I actually copied the error over from my production
server,
because when I go to the PO General tab on my working server, it looks
like this:
How is my production server even working?

That folder filed should say:  /media/nss/GWVOL/teachpo

It IS correct on my domain.  That folder says /media/nss/GWVOL/fvlhs

Anyone have an idea on how to either fix my original before I copy the
data over, or, change that field name on my new server?

Any help is appreciated!

Matt
>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 2/21/2018 3:34 PM

Here's a TID with some links.
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7013085

-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Matt Schlawin" <MSchlawin at FVLHS.ORG> 2/21/2018 3:00 PM >>>
Thanks James,

I like the live migration idea to keep downtime to a minimum.  Can you
point me to a doc or TID that explains mor
e on how to do the live
migration and the cutover procedure?  My database is about 400Gb and
takes about 3 hours with dbcopy to get a backup.

Matt
>>> "James Taylor" <James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> 2/21/2018 10:59 AM

I would suggest that you spin up a new sles12sp3 server and give it
the
same name as your existing server, but with a new ip address.
There will be no external name conflict  because it will not be
referenced by the new IP.
You can now do a live initial migration of your database, and only
have
to have downtime for the final cutover.
During the cutover, you can update the migrated database, shut down
the
old server and apply it's address as a secondary to the new server.
This
has the advantage of making GW more portable, as it is not tied to a
particular server's base address.
Just be sure you have your agents configured to use domain names and
set to use only the address associated with the DNS names in agent
configs.

If you have need to do this, instead of adding the GW address as a
secondary, you can just re-IP the new server, but I would only see the
need to do that if you are low on IP's for the segment.
Also, I would recommend XFS for the file systems, root and GW, but
that
is matter of persona preference.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Matt Schlawin" <MSchlawin at FVLHS.ORG> 2/21/2018 8:24 AM >>>
Hi Everyone!

I'm going to do the same upgrade.  I am currently running GW 2014
(14.2.2) on OES 2015 SP1 with NSS.  This server runs my one domain and
one PO, along with GWIA.  I would like to move the server to a new GW
18
SLES 12 SP3 server
BUT I would like to keep the same server name and
IP
address and I want the old server unharmed in case things go south.  I
think I have a set of steps that wi
ll do that and avoid a lot of data
copying.

Would someone mind looking over my plan so see if I'm missing
something?  Any suggestions welcome.

1.    Stop GW, mount a new virtual disk and backup my domain and PO
with dbcopy to that new virtual disk (EXT4 ??).  Stop GW from auto
starting on the next reboot.
2.    Turn off the old GW server and shutdown GWAVA appliance
3.    Spin up new SLES 12 SP3 server giving it the same name and IP
address.  Use XFS file system for root and mount the volume I created
in
step 1.
4.    Install GW 2014 (14.2.2) and point to the new locations for PO
and domain as outlined in TID 7013085.
5.    Start GW and verify that the new server is up and running
normally.
6.    Stop the new GW server and take a snapshot.
7.    Start up the old server.  Remove the eDir replica from server by
following steps in TID 7017577
8.    Stop the old server, start the new server and start GWAVA.
9.    Upgrade the new server to GW 18.

Matt
>>> "Gregg A. Hinchman" <Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com> 1/31/2018 11:53
AM >>>

Daniel,

I concur with Paul.  Just no need for OES.  GW on sles12 works great
and even if you are not strong in linux, there are only about 20-30
commands you really need to know, the rest you can always l
ook up
should
you need them.

Back to your question though.  If you are wanting to stay on OES, then
you should upgrade the OS first, patch it. Then upgrade GW -all in
place.

Finally a few things to consider if you move to Linux. First, you will
need to copy all the GW data. If you have a large shop, that will take
while, and likely at least 2 passes before you cut over. Second, make
sure on the copy you have both the Source and Destination vm servers
on
the same host. This will force 'network traffic' through the backplane
of the host server and increase the speed of the copy. You should get
40GB an hour that way.

If you find you need help, drop me a line. I do this sort of work all
the time.

Good luck to you!!

Take Care.

Gregg A. Hin
chman, PMP

Salesforce Certified Administrator

Salesforce Certified App Builder

Salesforce Certified Advanced Administrator

Salesforce Certified Sales C
loud Consultant

Gregg at HinchmanConsulting.com

www.HinchmanConsulting.com